Upgrading HD in late 2009 Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by johnpateley, Aug 7, 2013.

1. johnpateley macrumors newbie

Hello
    A few words of advice please.
    I am wanting to upgrade the hard drive in my late 2009 iMac.
    I understand that the hard drive temp sensor is inbuilt into the hard drive in this model. The make of hard drive in my computer is Western digital and I have the part no WDC WD5000AAKS-40V2B0. So my question is, is there a 1 terabyte WD hard drive that would be a direct replacement for the old one with built in sensor and if so what is its model no please?
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    John (Yorkshire Dales England)

2. mbh macrumors 6502

Here is a link to an article that contains a link to the Other World Computing web site purportedly containing compatible hard drives. Maybe it will help.

If you have trouble with the temperature sensor apparently you can get a drive agnostic sensor that is usually used for the optical drive. You just tape it to the drive and it returns the appropriate signal to the motherboard. Part #922-9229, search for it on ebay.

3. macthefork macrumors 6502

4. GeekGuys macrumors regular

Go SSD

If you are having to replace the HDD then I would go for a SSD. For the small extra amount it will transform your iMac.
    Also add more memory to bring it up to 6Gb and you will feel like a brand new mac... everything will run much faster and be snappier generally.

Temp sensor then becomes pointless btw.