Upgrading HD of Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Abdulhaq, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Abdulhaq macrumors member

Greetings,

I have a mid-2007 Macbook (black body, 2.16 ghz). It came with a stock 160gb hard disk. What is the maximum capacity I can upgrade the hard disk to?

Regards,

Abdul Shaikh

2. gooser macrumors 6502a

owc will sell you a 1.5tb hard drive but i would recommend a 1tb hybrid drive. how big do you need?

3. Abdulhaq thread starter macrumors member

Upgrading HD in Macbook

1 Tb hard disk will be sufficient. You have suggested a hybrid drive. Will this type of drive make the Macbook warmer in use and will it reduce battery life?

4. gooser macrumors 6502a

i can't really answer that because i bought my macbook last year and it came with a hybrid in it and i don't have anything to compare it to. i have 4gb of ram in it and running 10.6 this thing just flies. and i can comfortably surf the web all day with the thing in my lap. my macbook came with 10.9 on it but i downgraded to 10.6.8.

5. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I don't see why this would make it warmer than before. Also it shouldn't reduce your battery life. Hybrid drives keep your most used files on SSD so it should reduce the amount of work the conventional part of the drive is doing and thus reduce power consumption. Though I also have no way of testing this for certain, that's just theory.