upgrading HD on MacBook MB063

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blacktop, Sep 23, 2009.

1. blacktop macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook MB063 (the black one, if that makes a difference).

when i bought it, it had 1GB ram and 160GB HD. using Leopard.
    I have since upgraded to 4GB ram (thanks to crucial.com)
    but i now am in need of more space on my HD. I already have a 1TB external HD but share that across a network with 6 other laptops (all non apple) and 2 pcs.

I am now going to upgrade the HD, and for longevity sake I'm considering a 500GB (Seagate Momentus) 7200rpm.

this one
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=70f4bfafecadd110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

I am a bit concerned about the compatibilty of the unit with my machine. I have been a long time PC user, but since having purchased my MB a year ago, i feel fairly 'au fait' with Macs. I wouldn't have had any concerns if I was upgrading a windows laptop, i think i just need some reassurance that it will work.

thereafter, i will install Leopard on the new HD and then use my already pruchased upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Is it worthwile to take both - any unit purchased and MB - to a genius bar to have them carry out the work or should i follow any procedure i would have with a pc?!

thanks.

BlackTop

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, that is compatible with your Mac. Do it yourself, just watch tutorial from Youtube. Basically there's no difference between Mac and PC in hardware. BTW, you don't need to install Leopard and then SL, you can just install SL immediately

3. blacktop thread starter macrumors newbie

does that include the £25 version of SL that i bought?? or would i have to buy the £170 version?

thanks

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Yes, it'll work just fine. You don't need the 170 version.