Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I just recently purchased a late 2013 17" iMac with a iTB HD, with 16GB of RAM. The machine is used for internet, email, Word processing, chatting, Facebook, the occasional photo viewing, the occasional (20 per year) photo editing etc. Very average stuff.

Would I really benefit from an SSD drive?

Can this be added at a later date, by an authorized Apple reseller/repair center?

Would I be better off with an external TB SSD?

Because I had a recent birthday with had received several apple store gift cards, I was beyond the eight gift card limit for on-line BTO. I had to purchase at the Apple store, which did install extra RAM, but did not offer any drive configuration beyond the 1TB 7200RPM drive. I am beyond the 14 day return period. I did not like the fact that the on-line gift card limit, required that I purchased at my Apple Store, but such is like and they were most helpful.

Some people say I don't need anything more. Is that true?

If I want to improve performance later on, what are my options?

Given my vision and coordination, taking apart my new iMac is not an option for me.

Thanks

Jay

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Hi

I just recently purchased a late 2013 17" iMac with a iTB HD, with 16GB of RAM. The machine is used for internet, email, Word processing, chatting, Facebook, the occasional photo viewing, the occasional (20 per year) photo editing etc. Very average stuff.

No you don't need an SSD for this kind of use, just enjoy the machine you have. At a later date you can add an SSD with Thunderbolt if you feel it needs it.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hi

Would I really benefit from an SSD drive?

Can this be added at a later date, by an authorized Apple reseller/repair center?

Would I be better off with an external TB SSD?

Because I had a recent birthday with had received several apple store gift cards, I was beyond the eight gift card limit for on-line BTO. I had to purchase at the Apple store, which did install extra RAM, but did not offer any drive configuration beyond the 1TB 7200RPM drive. I am beyond the 14 day return period. I did not like the fact that the on-line gift card limit, required that I purchased at my Apple Store, but such is like and they were most helpful.

Some people say I don't need anything more. Is that true?

If I want to improve performance later on, what are my options?

Given my vision and coordination, taking apart my new iMac is not an option for me.

Thanks

Jay

An SSD is the single biggest change you can make that will make a significant difference to your computer. Sure, you can live without it, but after you experience the speed/bootup times/application-load times of an SSD, I think you'll find it impossible to go back. I'd rather have an SSD + 8GB of RAM than a traditional hard drive + 32GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.