Upgrading HD - Time Machine or CCC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Dec 13, 2010.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I'm planning on upgrading to a Seagate Momentus XT :))) and I know how to upgrade the hard drive in terms of hardware, but not really on porting back all my stuff to the new hard drive.

I have a Time Machine backup of my whole computer - Would I just boot off the Snow Leopard disk and do a restore from Time Machine, Migration Assistant restore from Time Machine, or would CCC be a better alternative?

Does restoring from Time Machine restore everything?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.

I prefer CCC, but you can use either.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have an external drive with 2 partitions
    1 for TM
    1 for CCC

Both have their advantages

With TM, I can go back to a certain state, and even find deleted files, etc.

With CCC, I have a bootable clone that is ready to go should I encounter problems

4. rekhyt thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahh... Alright. I don't really need a bootable clone - Will Time Machine do the job well then in restoring my system?

Also, for the Seagate Momentus XT - The 2.5" 7200RPM drive will fit into a MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2008, right? Do I need to do anything special with the hard drive before I install it?

(Format to HFS on another Mac, secure-erase the drive, ...?)

5. Mac Composer macrumors member

Time Machine will do it. Insert your OSX install disk with your external drive connected. You'll come on a screen that gives you a choice to restore your HD from whatever source you want, choose time machine and you'll be set. I did this two weeks ago and everything got restored 100%. Nothing needed to get re-registered or re-authorized. It was all perfect.

I've got a 500 GB MBP, but I only have about 75 GB used on the drive. The reinstall from Time Machine took just about a half hour with this amount of files to be installed.

6. Barnzee macrumors regular

Mac Sales has a really cool part matcher system where you put in what type of Mac you have and they list what parts are compatible.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

For simplicity I use TM (I do like CCC though). It works really well and restores your data 100% when things go wrong.

8. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

This is EXACTLY how I do mine ;)

Best of both worlds and extra backups... I keep my time machine on one HDD and my CCC on a separate (normally one I carry with me)... heaven forbid that disk dies and it has both time machine and CCC on it :(

I've had that happen, so my backups are on separate drives.

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't know what I did wrong, but TM didn't work for me when I installed a new 500 gb hd into my mbp. I'd go CCC in the future. :(

10. dime21 macrumors 6502

For replacing your bootable system drive, nothing is faster or easier than CCC. Time Machine is more for restoring single files, not really intended as a cloning tool.

11. Mac Composer macrumors member

Time Machine does a great job at restoring an entire HD.
    Just boot up from your Mac OSX install disk with your Time Machine drive connected. You'll come to a screen where it gives you a choices to restore your HD from whatever source you want, choose Time Machine, done.

I did this two weeks ago, worked flawlessly. Nothing even needed to be re-authorized or re-registered. Worked perfect. I also have a bootable backup with Superduper, but Time Machine restored my entire HD in about 30 minutes.

12. mstrze macrumors 68000

Ditto on the keeping-the-drives-seperate thing. You lose that drive, you lose ALL of your backups. It doesn't make sense to have two backups on the same drive. They are the same data (although TM has more versions)...only main difference is that one set is bootable.

I think it boils down to how tech savvy are you? If you want a simple backup with ease of restoration, go with TM...it's truly 'set-it and forget it'. I don't use CCC, but it would seem to me that there would be some mechanations to get the Mac to recognize that the CCC drive is the new boot drive, then you would have to go about copying over these files to your new HDD. (If it's easier than this, I apologize...since as I said I don't use CCC) With TM, it's as simple as putting in your OS X disc and following the prompts to restore the system.

Having both, on seperate drives would be the best backup behavior, with maybe the CCC done every week or so on a drive you store off site.