Upgrading HD Using Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by alfista, Jun 8, 2007.

1. alfista macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm trying to do the 120gb hard drive upgrade, but I keep resulting in a 40gb AppleTV running on a 40gb drive.

I've used the 'Simple Alternate Instructions' here

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Prepare_a_Hard_Drive

running the command dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/sda bs=1024

however, after installing and doing a factory restore I still end up with ~32gb free.

Any ideas how to grow the Media partition using ubuntu tools, or can MacDrive do this under Windows?

No mac yet...waiting for the new 20" iMac...

Jason

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I couldn't get the partition to resize using the cl either, so I dropped the $45 on iPartion. It worked on the first try (160 gig Samsung).

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I think you need a mac (or iPartition) to grow an HFS+ partition. I haven't seen any free tools that can. *crosses fingers for GParted support*

4. alfista thread starter macrumors member

Does any OSX Mac have the ability to resize this partition or does it need to be an intel imac?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Any mac that can run iPartition will do the job. But to emphasize, it seems that iPartition is the only one that can do it. Other apps that can resize seem to fail when it comes to the ATV hard drive's Media partition.

6. alfista thread starter macrumors member

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Did you look up what "dd" does?
    dd will make a literal copy of the drive. You are copying the partition table and the file system over block by block. Basically "cloning" the drive and sure enough you are getting an exact copy of the older, smaller drive. but with some unused space left over.

8. alfista thread starter macrumors member

Understood, but none of the tools in ubuntu would allow to resize the fourth partition enclosed in the gpt partition (assuming I'm getting the gpt terminology right). Once I had the iMac, I was able to delete and recreate the fourth partition while simultaneously growing it using the GPT tool in osx. Thanks for the help!