Upgrading HD without voiding warrantee?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeyTree, Jun 5, 2007.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Is there any way to upgrade a HD on a MBP without voiding the warrantee? If you can't do it on your own, with the techs at applestore do it?

2. arcobb macrumors regular

Great Question! Anyone know? (bump!)

3. squwish macrumors member

squwish

Nope! The only way no not void the warranty is to go through apple:(

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Only Apple or Apple Certified Repair centers. You will spend a bit of $ on that from what I hear.

5. weeman macrumors 6502

Yeah, I wanted to upgrade the HD in my iBook but backed way from it due to the fact that I do not want to void my applecare and spend xx for the HD and $150-$200 for installation (and not void the warrenty) so I just went ahead and bought an external HD. The only way to do it is to have apple do it or a certified apple repair center if you dont want to void the warrenty. They know they are the only ones that can do it without voiding the warrenty so they can charge whatever they want for it :mad:

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Just do it yourself, it's not hard. As long as you don't break anything, you'll be fine. If you have to send it back in, just put the old hard drive back in and they'll never know the difference.

7. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I don't believe it will void the warranty on a regular Macbook since it's allowed to be a DIY upgrade on Apple.com. I upgraded my RAM and brought my Macbook to Applecare and they had no issue with it.

However on a MBP, upgrading the HD is much more difficult, so I dunno.

8. keenkreations macrumors regular

Installing a new hard drive in the MPB is NOT that difficult. As long as you have the right tools, you should be fine. I have swapped out a hard drive in the old G4 iBooks (which was a pain). I also have swapped out the old MBP Airport Card with a Mac Pro Airport Extreme card, which gives me 802.11n capabilities. Opening up the MPB using ifixit.com as a reference made opening it up a breeze (as compared to an iBook, bleh). That's my experience.

9. weeman macrumors 6502

Oh I didnt notice you had a MBP...For some reason I thought you had an iBook