Upgrading HDD and RAM on 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MagikMonkey, Dec 23, 2010.

1. MagikMonkey macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just bought a 13" MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz) and am looking to upgrade to 500GB hard drive and 8GB RAM. Any suggestions on either of these (what + where to buy)? Cost would probably be my number one priority, but at the same time obviously keeping quality somewhat in mind...

Thanks!

2. MagikMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Trust me on this, the 7200RPM makes a significantly noticeable difference. The Scorpio Black is what I run in my 13"MBP. It is just sick compared to the factory 5400RPM drive.

*Granted it is no SSD, but you will be happy you chose it.

4. MagikMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I was originally drawn towards 7200RPM, but was discouraged by some reports of problems with heat/noise/vibrations/reduced battery life. Have you experienced any of these?

5. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I have the 500GB Scorpio Black and love the drive. The battery life difference isn't even noticable to me, my MBP still gets lots of time when unplugged; heat, yes it's warmer, comparing it to the stock Hitachi drive, the heat inside my notebook has gone up about 2 degrees. Woo. :rolleyes: Vibrations, haven't noticed anything screwy either, I'm very satisfied with the drive.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What I've heard, the Scorpio Black is very good 7200rpm drive. Great performance but battery life and stuff like that are similar to 5400rpm drives

7. MagikMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

This was my suspicion, that the difference in heat, etc. caused by the 7200RPM is probably insignificant. I think I can endure a couple of degrees of heat, or a few minutes less battery life, for the sake of improved performance. Thanks for this, I think I will go for the Scorpio Black. I was originally debating between that and the Blue, but it seems worth going for the 7200.

Any thoughts on RAM? Or is it pretty standard across the board?

8. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

OWC RAM is well liked among board users here, I use Mushkin for my computers, and they've always been outstanding as well.

9. MagikMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I think I'll just stick with OWC... One final question, what exactly do I need to upgrade the laptop? I've looked this up before, but I'm a bit lazy at the moment :eek:. Any suggestions for where to buy the tools?

Thanks again guys/gals.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/TOOLKITMHD/

11. MagikMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

12. runofthedill macrumors member

thanks, this forum just linked me to everything im gonna buy.

13. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

14. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to a Scorpio Black, and while I'm very pleased with the speed, it has taken away about 2.0-2.5 hours of battery life off my Mac. Instead of seeing 7 hours of battery life, I typically get around 5 hours at best. Just something to consider. Personally, I think it's worth it.

15. BigMoo macrumors member

What do you run your brightness and backlight on?

16. Resist macrumors 68030

That's a pretty significant loss.

I bought my 13" Macbook Pro a few months ago and got the low end model because I planned on using the savings to upgrade the HD and RAM, like everyone else. I prefer the long battery life of this laptop, so getting the right HD is important to me.

I do have one question though, when replacing the HD how to you transfer all your old data to the new HD?

17. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Let's see, no vibration, battery life might have lost about 15-20 minutes, almost unnoticeable really. As far as excessive heat, I don't really notice any...I run alot of HandbrakeCLI and the hottest my laptop has ever gotten was about 81C, and that was while running HandbrakeCLI in 8 different tabs simultaneously, while web browsing and other stuff.

18. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I experienced almost no drop in battery life whatsoever when I went from my stock 5400 drive to a 7200.

Here's the drive I got - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9500420AS/