Upgrading HDD and RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikeschmeee, Mar 15, 2009.

1. mikeschmeee macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I just got this laptop 3 days ago (Aluminum MacBook 2.0Ghz) I'm completely new to the Mac world and OS X but so far its been a good learning experience I'm getting the hang of it.

I'm itching to buy 4GB memory for my new aluminum MacBook. I was stupid enough not to get it when I bought the laptop at the store. I call back to get a quote thinking it will still be around 150ish when they told me at the store but now its 240!!
    I wouldn't mind spending the extra 100 dollars or so for the upgraded ram in stores but I said forget it I can get it cheaper which was my original plan but it looks like I won't be able to do it since the issues I see that are posted.

I've been reading alot around the forums and other sites as well. I'm tempted to purchase OWC or Crucial memory for much less then what Apple is charging. But I'm not convinced that it will work 100%
    Everyone keeps saying how it starts to freeze the system thus having to switch back to the original 2GB memory they had.

Am I going to have the same types of issues if I buy a new 320GB hard drive?

What should I do? Wait it out until Apple drops the price? Someone please help.

Thanks
    Mike

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, you were smart not to order the memory BTO when you bought the computer. I've never seen more expensive memory than what Apple sells. Crucial or OWC memory with the right specs will work perfectly well and at a fraction of the cost.

The same goes for the hard drive, although you won't be able to install it yourself without voiding the warranty.

3. mikeschmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey thanks for the reply! I've been waiting to hear from someone about this. hah.

So whats the deal with everyone saying that the machine freezes, won't boot up, or the screen goes black when upgrading the memory? I want to buy memory upgrade but obviously for a good price, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

Has anyone upgraded the hard drive without voiding the warranty? Or should I not even worry about it just upgrade to a 320GB and clone it. If something happens I can just put in the old drive back in?

I've done such upgrades on many of my PC desktops and laptops but this is my first mac and everything I would like to do seems like you shouldn't unless its straight from Apple and you pay up the yin yang.

I called the apple store and they said upgrading the ram myself will not void the warranty, is this true?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If I installed new memory and it worked, I wouldn't start a thread about it, would I?

No, the Apple Store lied to you. :rolleyes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Lol, he said that the Apple store told him that it will NOT void the warranty, which is true.

6. jtibbitt macrumors regular

jtibbitt

7. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I think that's why BlueRevolution included the "rolleyes" smiley. You would normally expect to get a good answer from the Apple store, specifically about voiding or not voiding the warranty.

Now, I can see where you would expect to get lied to from the apple store, but in this case, BR also included a link to Apple's website that shows you how to upgrade the RAM, which, again, does not void the warranty.

Unless you meant that you would NOT expect to get a good answer from the Apple store, in which case I can clearly not drink from the cup in front of you.

8. mikeschmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, thanks guys.

I know how to upgrade it and which parts to buy... its just I'm "iffy" on doing it since I read a lot of posts on this site that their memory upgrade did not work out so well with OWC, Crucial and Kingston ram on the new aluminum MacBooks. I've seen one guy saying that OEM memory from Apple works fine without any worries but obviously I don't want to spend 240 dollars when I can get it else where for a fraction of the price.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Like I said:

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The computer is still covered under warranty, but the RAM is not. So if you have a RAM problem and take it into the Apple Store, they won't do anything unless you pay them regardless of the status of your AppleCare.