Upgrading HDD at Apple Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atomicfission92, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

If I wanted to get a 7200 RPM hdd for my new MBP that I going to be buying soon. Can I have them install it when I purchase the laptop? or do I have to order the system with that drive online?

Basically what I am trying to ask is that if I want to upgrade the HDD to 7200 RPM. Do I have to wait to get my system?

2. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I would install the HDD after you purchase the machine. Built-to-order machines are impossible to return to the store if you have a problem. Instead, you have to send the computer back to Apple for repair or replacement. Personally, I've had more than a few problems with new Apple computers, so it may be your best bet to install the HDD after purchase.

Just my two cents...

3. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

plus its cheaper

4. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright that changes things then.

Cause I was going to upgrade the 320GB hdd from 5400 to 7200RPM. Its only like $40 or something like that with my Student Discount. But I guess if I upgrade it myself I can use the old drive for an external.

5. htchang1987 macrumors member

But does changing hdd ownself can spoil the apple warranty?

6. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

No, you can upgrade the HDD and RAM your self will no Ill affect on your warranty.

7. yegon macrumors 68020

I was aware of this, but I've always wondered, where do you stand if you've replaced the hdd yourself and then need repair? Is the Apple store out of the question? Obviously, with a replacement you'd take the hdd out.

8. crobbins macrumors 6502

I've always been told, by the genius bar, to put the original hardware back in the machine or the repair depot will not even touch it. I upgraded my unibody pro to a 500gb drive, but still have the original sitting around in case something happens.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

The only thing in a MBP that an Apple Retail Store can upgrade is the memory. If you want a different drive (and you want Apple to do it), you have to order online.

Genius Bars (in the Apple Retail Stores) can do repair work on built-to-order machines. i.e. if a SuperDrive fails, they can swap it out.

10. kid rock macrumors regular

this is what i would do, i have the old ram and old hdd ready if i ever have problems

11. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Coming from personal experience, the things they can fix are very, very limited. If you have a logic board fail, in it goes.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think it depends on the store, too. At the store near me, if sending it to depot is the quickest way of getting it fixed for the customer, they'll go that route. They'll do that if they don't have that specific logic board in stock, or if there is a backlog of Macs already on the bench for repair. But they don't specifically treat BTO Macs differently. They use the same workflow for stock Macs too.

13. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah same for the Apple store by me. They just do what they have in stock and then order the part and/or send out the computer if they can fix it. I was talking to a guy with an old BTO white g5 iMac and his logic board was fried but they had it and he had to get a new HDD too and they had that so he got it but if they didnt he was gonna buy new

14. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

oh yeah um

are u saying you want something they dont offer BTO?

they have a 320GB @7200rpm just get that from the online store

The Genius will only put in a new Drive for a repair or an upgrade later. They will just say buy online if u can get it online

15. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Why pay someone money that is not needed? I would buy the middle model because the 2.8Ghz is a BTO and it will be difficult to exchange if a problem arises and buy the desired HD and enclosure and swap it out yourself. The external HD would be used for Time Machine or as a backup.

16. Atomicfission92 thread starter macrumors regular

They do offer it BTO. Its just a 320gb 7200RPM. I just wanted to know if they would do the upgrade in the store and not make me have to order it and wait a few weeks or so to get it for a simple upgrade.

17. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

No. Only memory upgrades at the store. I just ordered mine online and paid the extra $50, rather than paying more for a second drive, keeping one kicking around 'just in case' it fails. I don't want a slow hdd anyways. It's like you're asking it to fail... :eek:

Oh, and mine was shipped and to me within 3 business days. Placed the order Friday afternoon I do believe, and it was in my hands by Wednesday at 4 pm. China > Japan > Anchorage > Kentucky > Buffalo > Mount Hope > Concord > My house. I didn't even pay for fast shipping.