Upgrading HDD help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patriks7, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

So I finally got the time to replace my 250GB HDD in my MBP with the 500GB WD drive. I replaced it, made sure the cables are attached etc. I then put in the install DVD. All works until I get to the screen where I should choose where to install the OS, but that part is blank :confused: What can I be doing wrong? Would it help to put in my stock drive and put the 500Gb into an external enclosure and install it onto the external? I'm a bit annoyed right now as I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to buy a T6 (they seem to be pretty damn rare here :eek:) and i spent the whole day working on tons of school projects so I'm damn tired :p
    Anyway, any help is appreciated.

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

put it into the external and format/partition it.

or

when installing, hit the options pulldown from the menubar at the top and select disk utility. format/partition it there.

3. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

why havent you made a copy of the existing hdd with superduper and mount then the new drive in the mbp ?

i have it done several times like this and was always happy ... :D

this works 100%.

4. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I would, but I want a clean install :p
    Hmm. I put it into my external enclosure and it doesn't want to show up, even though I can feel it spinning :confused:

5. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

does it show up in the disk utility?

6. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

It didn't show up in Disk utility when in my external enclosure, but after going through all the menus I found it in the installing part where I was stuck before (which makes me think my external enclosure might be ****ed...) Well I'm installing now, so I hope there won't be any more complications :p

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

have fun installing see ya on the other side

8. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

OK it just booted, but I think I'll go the Superduper way or something, cause I don't feel like going through all the setting again :p

9. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

OK running SuperDuper, just kinda worried that it'll take too long :p only 10k out of 600k evaluated so far. Does this also copy my Windows partition or only OS X?