Upgrading HDD in 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by szolr, Jul 21, 2012.

1. szolr macrumors 6502

Somehow I've managed to get by with 320 GB as my HDD since september 2011. How—I don't quite know tbh. I have a couple of 500 GB portable hard drives. But most of my space is occupied by movies in iTunes. I dislike having to plug in a portable hard drive whenever I want to watch a film streamed onto the :apple:TV in the living room.

Unless anyone's got a better idea I guess I'll have to upgrade my Macbook's HDD. Is that possible? And could someone point me to a reliable guide please? Also, if I upgraded the HDD would that void my warranty or something?..

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes it's possible. You need a 2.5" SATA drive. Check www.iFixit.com for a guide, and it doesn't void the warranty unless you break something in the process.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You've been a member for a year, how did you not think to search first? The HDD is very easy to upgrade and I believe there's a 2TB HDD available for laptops

4. szolr thread starter macrumors 6502

It's been a year already? :p

No, seriously, I did have a look curtesy of Google's best. However, I like to ask to see if I've missed anything important.

The point about not voiding the warranty for instance—I read something different on that score in a couple of places.

5. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

1 TB is the biggest available so far.

BUT you can fit 2 inside your macbook if you remove the ODD. :cool:

6. szolr thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I'm not that good with fitting in computer components—well, I'm almost completely new to put it another way. The most I've done is a RAM upgrade on a HP laptop. :eek: