Upgrading HDD in MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro (at some point) and will be buying the lowest possible hard drive with the view of upgrading to a 320GB myself.

How easy/difficult is it to upgrade the hard drive? I upgraded the hard drive in my Powerbook G4 but when lifting the palm rest off, it struggled and some of the clips ended up breaking. Is there any way of preventing this happening? I wouldn't want to mess up a brand new MBP.

Thanks

2. a4abt macrumors regular

It's funny you ask this question because I just upgraded my hd to a 320gb. I was very very stressed by doing this upgrade myself, but it went smoothly. All you need to do is be organized (keep track of which screw goes where) and be very careful when "uncliping" the keyboard lid portion.

Overall, the upgrade is easy to do, as long as you are gentle with your notebook and take your time. Once the install is done, just format (erase) the new hd and you are all set to install Leopard!

I bought my new hard drive from Western Digital's website (320gb 5,400rpm for $200).

PM me if you have further questions!

3. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Thanks, I followed their instructions when upgrading the Hard Drive in my PowerBook. Just don't want the same thing to happen :)