upgrading hdd, need help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by b33eazy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. b33eazy macrumors member

When I'm installing my new hdd, do I discharge electricity by touching it ONLY with my hands, or do I need to make the screw drivers touch the metal part too? Also, I have the fall '08 Macbook (Aluminum) A1278. What screw drivers would I need for that (unscrewing hdd, etc), and can I find them at Home Depot/Lowes?

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Here's a video with a tools needed list to help you through this: Aluminum MacBook HD Installation

As far as discharge, touch something metal before beginning to touch the drive or other parts. The case is usually fine. Then do the work at a table while standing on a wood, tile, or concrete (hard surface) floor. Don't stand on fuzzy carpet shuffling your feet while a cat rubs up against you and your working on a fake wool sweater that just came out of the dryer that's draped across your bedspread. If you're still confused, read Here.

By the way, both the discharge notes and the video come from macsales.com which is also a great place to purchase your upgrades. <~~ my opinion that's shared by many others in this forum. -GDF

3. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

they say you should touch metal first. but to be honest one time i replaced my hard drive without touching any metal and i actually had the computer on. it was just asleep. OOPS :(. but everything worked out ok.

4. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Awesome reply & VERRRY helpful.

5. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

GDF??

please tell me your talking about grateful dead family?

edit: oh nvmm haha i read your name. i wish a gdf member was on here..

6. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the info. But just to make sure, I don't need to touch the metal part with my screwdriver, only hands, right? And I found out I need a T6 and a Phillips #00 screwdriver. Could I just find those two at Lowes or Home Depot? I rather not spend $17 bucks on tools I'll only be using a handful of times.

EDIT: I think I may just go with this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macintosh...er_MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item53dfea30c0

7. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

on otherworldcomputing.com you can find hard drives that come with a 00 screwdriver, t6 torx, a spudger, and the hard drive all in one kit. or you can buy the toolkit separate for 4.50

8. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

That's much cheaper ($7 for everything) than Ebay. I'll order it off OwC then. Thank you. I already bought my 500gb 7200rpm hdd from Ebay, paid $77.

9. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Nope.. just a fan for about 40 years.

10. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

beeasy - what hd?

gdf - u ever experiment with any substances from gdf haha?

11. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I bought a 2.5 inch laptop hd for my Macbook from Ebay. I paid $77 bucks and it was a 500gb 7200rpm. I don't thing that was a bad deal if I do say so myself. :)

Edit: What's a spudger?

12. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

i meant what kind of hd tho? i also have a seagate 500gb 7200.4 hd. i paid like 105 for mine tho

and a spudger is a little plastic pryer kinda thing to pop the bottom plate and other things off. u dont rly need it but it comes with it anyway

13. b33eazy thread starter macrumors member

I can't get off the first screw with 00 Phillips that company supplied me with. And now the screw is kind of damaged. How can I get the first screw off?? I think that screw is messed up now. Is there anything I can do now?