Upgrading HDD...quick question on moving my data to the new drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoneWolf121188, Jan 30, 2009.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I've upgraded plenty of HDDs, but never on OSX, so I've just got a few questions about the process before I jump into it. You obviously replace your drive and boot off the Leopard DVD...do I then tell it to use my Time Machine backup to restore my OSX install? What about my Vista partition? How do I restore that? System Restore from my Vista DVD?

2. ValkyrieLenneth macrumors regular

ValkyrieLenneth

First, you install new drive, then install leopard, import data from Time Capsule, then you will have to reinstall Windows with bootcamp.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Do you want to reinstall or do you want to simply replace the drive. If you just want to replace, you can take out the old drive, put in the new drive, boot from the leopard CD and use the disk utility to clone it over..in either instance you'll have to redo the vista install.

4. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to reinstall either operating system, if possible....why are you saying that I have to reinstall Vista? Can't I just create an NTFS partition in OS X after installing leopard, then boot from my Vista DVD and use system restore to copy my old Vista install back to the drive?

5. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Help is here!

6. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

You are in luck. You do not have to start over. You can use WinClone to create an image of your BootCamp drive onto your internal OSX boot drive (if you have space and if not you can create the WinClone image onto an external FireWire or USB drive. Then use SuperDuper (or Carbon Copy) and make a bootable image of your OSX internal drive to an external drive (this could be your new hard drive that is temporarily placed into an external enclosure).

Swap in the new drive. Boot from the new drive and use the BootCamp application to create your new BootCamp partition, exit at the prompt install now or later. Run WinClone and restore your saved image into the newly created BootCamp partition.

If you have questions about this, use the search function and you will find WinClone has been discussed many times in the past.

Neil

7. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

got the drive. im ready, almost.

when i plug the new hard drive(enclosure) to mac, do i use disc utility to format it? format it to what? i think my macbook internal is currently HFS+
    Do i make the partitions now? or clone osx and windows first?

super duper sounds easy.
    then i will use winclone.

regarding windows bootcamp:
    do i clone windows to extenal first?
    or do i fit the new drive in and THEN clone from original (via enclosure) ?

but when do i actually do the partitioning for new drive?
    does bootcamp assistant make the partition?
    or do i have to do it via disc utility?

my current windows partition is 50gb.
    after ive cloned windows, can i make the new bootcamp partition as bigger eg 100gb? and then just clone the windows over, no probs?

ive read that we can resize bootcamp partition after anyway, by cloning, deleting, re-making size, cloning back image...... so this applies to my situation doesnt it?

cheers

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yes, you want get your new drive in the enclosure, and just do a basic partition format, OSX Drive format to HFS+ and the windows you can use Bootcamp to do that (you will need to to enable the MBR file that bootcamp does; however you can make the windows partition when you install the new drive....

You will want to clone your windows partition first using WinClone, it will create a file on your harddrive; then you will use superduper to clone your OS X Installation to the new HFS+ Formatted drive using SuperDuper which is straight forward.

Once that is complete swap out the drives; once the new drive is installed, launch bootcamp, make the partition 50GB or higher, then run winclone to transplant it over and should be good to go (im not sure if it would be wise to make it larger then 50gb at the moment..transfer it over then resize it accordingly...because i know if its smaller then what you initially started with it wont work, going the other way not 100%)

after that you should be good to go√

Essentially clone the Windows Partition with WinClone which should create a WinClone file on your Mac OS X Hard Drive; that contains your entire windows partition so make sure you have enough space on there or another external drive..i found it easier to clone windows internall then swapping out drives prior to doing so.

So essentially you will have a 50GB windows clone on your mac hard drive, then you clonse your OSX install then swap drives...then you create your bootcamp partition and winclone that back to the new bootamp partition.

You place your NEW Drive in an external enclosure, format it to HFS+ (or whatever your current partition is in Disk Utility)
    I wouldnt make the bootcamp partition until like I stated before after you clone OSX over and swap the drives...

Yep, like I stated above...once you get your Windows partitioned cloned to your current Internal drive (since it iwll create a WinClone file of your Windows partition), you can clone it all over in one fell swoop; then once you swap drives you can make the bootcamp partition any size you want as long as its the same size or larger as the winclone clone you made.

That way you dont have to transfer, clone, delete, re-bootcamp/partition, re-clone etc.

so essentially and being repetitive one last time, id follow these steps.

1. Launch WinClone, clone your Windows partition (choose to save it on your current MacOSX internal drive (if you have space it will be roughy ~50GB)
    2. Put new drive in External Enclosure; launch disk utility, format to same as the current internal drive is (SuperDuper I believe verifies it too when cloning)
    3. Swap drives; launch BootCamp Utility, partition the drive to 50GB or higher.
    4. Launch WinClone and locate the clone you made, then clone it over to the new bootcamp partition

then you should be good to go.

9. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

applenewton:
    thankyou thankyout thankyou

disc utility...there was no option for HFS+
    only mac journaled extended...so i chose that, as my current mac
    drive is formatted to that.
    Mac rumors guide says to NOT partition drive.
    Apple website says to NOT partition drive. To let bootcamp do it.

Winclone tutorials dont even mention partitioning. They just say restore it via winclone.

Super duper is cloning now.

Why did you say to to clone windows first?

I cant clone windows to current drive, its full.
    Im gonna clone it to new drive (which is more logical anyway, to me) , after this super duper is done with OSX cloning.

so bootcamp wont delete the whole drive when its partitioning, will it?

after ive partitioned for boot camp and cloned the winclone clone.... do i delete the original clone? as i dont know it it gets copied to bootcamp or if it just gets moved to work with bootcamp.

sorry to be a pain.
    this forum is a life saver.

thanks.

oh my god...ive just read about sandboxing in super duper manual.
    ive never updated leopard in 10 months afraid some of my apps will stop working. But i guess i can make a sandbox thing and install OSX updates to that to test and see if things work or if probs arise. All the while the original OSX partition remaining unchanged.
    I have got this correct, havnt i? this sounds good.

10. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

problem problem problem

tried restoring winclone said no partition created.
    so then i created a partition with bootcamp.
    and it defaulted to ms dos fat32.
    then i tried to restore winclone, said error. check log.... i think it said something about wrong partition format....cant remember... basically couldnt restore.

why does bootcamp default making the partition to fat32?

i thought winclone would sort out the file partition.

ive just deleted the bootcamp partition now.

will i have to start again and make 2 partitions with disc utility?

but apple site and mac rumors guide say to NOT make partition with disc utility..... and to let bootcamp do it......

im confused.

please help.

SORRY SORRY SORRY
    chose the wrong destination.
    just successfully cloned it....winclone made the fat32 partition into NTFS like my old windows clone.
    just gonna test it now.

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

sorry for the late follow up.

how did it turn out?

it made sense in my mind how i was describing it and you seemed to have translated it just fine. Mac OS Journaled yes is consider HFS+

did the winclone data transfer over? were you able to clone it to your newly made bootcamp partition?

sandbox; i never used, personally...did you try it?

hope to hear things went okay!

12. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

thanks for the help.
    yes winclone said successfully done.
    i havnt booted up from windows yet. fingers crossed.
    yes bootcamp made the partition to fat32, and then winclone sorted it out as it was before, making it NTFS.

havnt tried sandbox yet, one step at a time for me. im very slow and careful. but sandbox sounds awsome. ill be able to update osx and test it, non destructively.

13. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

after ive cloned back my windows xp winclone clone to mac internal drive bootcamp partition....

can i delete the original winclone image?
    (is resides on my mac internal system partition)
    or does bootcamp need it? ie it references it?
    or was image actaully physically copied to bootcamp partition? so that makes this image now just wasting hard drive space? ie delete?

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You'll have to re-install Vista on boot camp for sure.

15. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

ive wincloned/restored XP to bootcamp partition. it works.

can i delete the original winclone image?
    (is resides on my mac internal system partition)
    or does bootcamp need it? ie it references it?
    or was image actaully physically copied to bootcamp partition? so that makes this image now just wasting hard drive space? ie delete?

16. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yep go for it.

or put it on an external drive for back up purposes.
    i usually use winclone instead of system restore for backing up

the winclone image is an exact byte for byte clone of your windows partition.