Upgrading HDD & RAM - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chianc, Jan 15, 2013.

1. chianc macrumors newbie

Hi guys

what i have here is a MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Early 2011 model, currently at 4gb ram and 320gb of space. i am thinking of fitting in these

Kingston DDR3 PC3 10600/1333MHz 8gb x 2
    &
    Toshiba 5400 RPM 1T or HITACHI 1TB 8M 5400R SATA3

Will it work on the MacBook?? i am afraid that if i buy it and only to find out that its not compatible...

On my local store i see that theres a different between the rams.. does Mac Laptop ram differ from other laptop's ram??

Thanks in advance!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

WHat is the HDD size? Not the storage size but physical size?
    Is it 2.5in? How tall is it?

The RAM would work but I suggest getting 1333MHz model.

3. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

The ram looks fine, but i think you should go for an SSD for the speed or atleast a 7200rpm HHD.
    5400rpm slow...
    If you dont use you ODD much then maybe you should remove it and install 1 of the drives you mention in that place and put in a SSD for system.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can always refer to everymac.com and the configurators on the RAM manufacturer's sites.

Memory can certainly vary from laptop to laptop but RAM is RAM. That said, there is RAM that is marketed as for Apple machines and some manufacturers only guarantee that such RAM will work with Apple machines. That said, plenty use "non-Apple" RAM. It's your call which you want to use.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I highly recommend the upgrades I've done to my MBP in my sig. It's a totally different machine to stock, performance wise.

edit:
    I have "regular" RAM on my MBP. It works fine. So long as it is DDR3 and appropriate speed, it will be fine.