Upgrading HDD to SSD on new Arrandale Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by racher, Apr 14, 2010.

1. racher macrumors member

Well, after lurking on the MacRumors forum for several months (the "Waiting for Arrandale" thread was both amusing and frustrating to read), I finally ordered a BTO 17" MBP with 8 GB of RAM and the 2.66 GHz CPU. Because I'll be using the notebook for video work, I ordered a Crucial 256 GB C300 SSD to replace the existing hard drive.

My question is this: since I'll be installing the new SSD in the laptop as soon as the MBP arrives, do I need to back it up to Time Machine (or similar) before making the drive swap? Or can I simply re-install OSX and iLife software with the included install disks? I'm very tech-savy about this kind of stuff, so I'm not concerned with the process. However, this will be my FIRST MAC, so I want to get it right. In the past, I've custom-built my PCs from the motherboard up, but alas, it's time to bid Windows farewell. :)

-racher

2. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

just use the OSX disk to install all your programs--much faster

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yep, swap drives, and put the install disc in and follow the on screen instructions.

4. racher thread starter macrumors member

Excellent! That's what I needed to know (and the answer I was hoping for). Thanks for the super-prompt reply!

-racher

5. carljohnston28 macrumors member

Are all SSDs equal and work with MBP.

Planning to order a 13" base model and put an SSD into it, any recommendations? Thanks. Looking for probably at least 128gb.

6. enberg macrumors regular

All 2.5" SATA SSDs will work.

7. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

you can get a corair 256 gig SSD for aronund 616 shipped

8. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

As long as you:

Upgrade the firmware (I noticed a 10% increase in speed)
    Disable the SMS
    Clean permissions and zap the Pram
    Change the sleep management to not using the ram to disk sleep option (use classic sleep mode)

Then your SSD will rock. I agree, the Intels have the best controller and really don't need the trim as of yet. the performance decline is only about 2% after a year of usage. You won't really notice it.

Just keep your drive about half full, use an external drive for storage. 40 gigs of storage is enough for me anyways. Your SSD will rock.
    : )

9. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

excuse the stupid questions:
    do we do all your suggestions after the ssd drive is in the macbook pro?
    what is SMS?
    why only keep the drive half full? i am planning to get a 120Gb due to finances but usually keep logic audio in the library, which takes up a stack of space.

10. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yep, after. SSD'S generally perform better (according to numerous threads from people) when they are less than 80% full. 50% is a good number to be at in my opinion. The SMS is the sudden motion sensor. You don't need to have the Apple one enabled because you have one built into the Intel SSD drive. So disable it. I changed my sleep option to not write the ram contents to disk when I sleep so it saves me 4 gigs. You will get back as much gigabytes as you have ram when you use the classic sleep mode.

Smart sleep is a good program to install. It installs a system preference pane and lets you choose the sleep mode to use. When you pay out the butt for gigabytes like with ssd drives, every gig you save counts.

11. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, all SSDs are not equal, either in interface or performance. First you need a SSD w/ a SATA interface. After that, there are MLC and SLC architectures. SLC is fastest, but also much more expensive. Even amount MLCs some brands are better than others, and then you have to look at specific brands models - they usually have a budget, mid-performance, and high-performance model.

Specifically -- Intel's X25-M series is probably the best you can get right now, but at a premium compared to Corsair and OCZ. I have a Corsair P128 in my 13" MBP and love it. Odd thing is I bought it last year for $300 after rebate. It's closer to $400 now. Ouch.

13. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I agree. You get what you pay for with SSD's, especially right now. Good advice.