Upgrading hdd with ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XPcentric, Nov 22, 2010.

1. XPcentric, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

XPcentric macrumors 6502

Thinking to upgrade my MacBook 13" HDD with an SSD, if i can find on the market, and to use the existing HDD as external back up if possible, dont know what extra piece I have to buy to connect it externatlly.
    Please let me know if it is possible this new alternative, my previous plan was to buy an external WD HDD.

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Maybe its just me... but I don't see the hype about an SSD. It costs so much for such little space. I would just get a 500GB HDD for like $90. But that's just me lol. Have you checked MacSales? I think they have tools for you to make the existing HDD an external backup. I know I've seen some before and I think that was the website. I also think that they sell SSDs too. Hope this helps :D

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yep, MacSales is a good place to look, they have kits that include the SSD and an external case for the existing internal hard drive (FireWire and/or USB, if you have a recent model then don't waste the money on FireWire because you don't have it, but anything before 2009 should still have it available and it's well worth it). Try this page, which has the kits available. They even throw in the tools. Not cheap overall, but they have some of the best prices and good quality SSD's. I'm sure you can find a better deal if you look around, but they're at least a reliable source for Mac stuff.

jW

4. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Cheaper drives and external enclosures can be found with some pretty cheap deals at

www.tigerdirect.com

www.newegg.com

I just ordered a Seagate Hybrid 500GB for $123 shipped