Upgrading HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac7, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I have the 13" with 250gb hdd installed now with about 50gb used. I'm planning on buying a 500gb hdd to replace it. After I install the new hdd i want to do a fresh install of SL. But how would I get recover all my data(documents, apps, settings, etc.) from the old hdd? I will have a usb enclosure and another 60gb hdd laying around.

Also will that 250gb that came with the MBP work in a PS3?

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Does your machine have SL on it now or will this be an upgrade? If you already have SL on the machine currently then I would consider just cloning your current drive to the new drive with something like Carbon Copy Cloner. It's not difficult to do and then you can just swap out, power up, and keep on working like nothing ever changed.

If this is an upgrade to SL from Leopard then you will just have to use some other data restoration option like Time Machine with your external drive as the source of the backup.

As for PS3 thing, as far as I know the PS3 can take any SATA drive that is formatted to FAT32. You can do a simple google search and find more specific instructions on how to put the drive in the PS3.

3. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

The MBP does have SL installed now. Can you use Carbon COpy Cloner with through usb? I have no firewire enclosure.

I will be doing this with the 500gb hdd disk installed in the mbp and the 250gb in the enclosure, would migrant assistant work with this?

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

As far as I know CCC will work fine with a USB enclosure although it will be slower. Check out their website for any other questions you might have.

5. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

I think the only time firewire is required for CCC is if you plan to boot off the external HDD. It can't boot using USB.

Since you plan to clone and swap drives instead of booting from the external, it should be fine.

6. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Can you use migrant assistant with a USB or is firewire required?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use Migration Assistant with USB (if backup is on external HDD), Firewire or (W-)LAN. Firewire is needed if you have another Mac. But as you use an HDD in an external enclosure, USB should suffice and work.