Upgrading help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hakkai687, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Hakkai687 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone I am wanting to upgrade 2 macbooks.
    I have a MacBook with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo which I believe is a mid or late 2009 model alum body. It has 2 - 1 GB DDR3 1067 MHz Ram, and a Hitachi HTS543216L9SA02 149.05GB HDD with a Queue Depth 32. (I am not sure what a queue depth is). I am upgrading the HDD with I hope to a 500GB and Memory to 4GB. Any suggestions on what I should get? I am using it for video editing and video capture but I don't use it to play games. I am on a tight budget so I am hoping to get this for 150 or 160 at most.

As for the second macbook is just a bit older I believe since its white. It has 2 - 256 MB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz and a TOSHIBA MK6034GSX 56 GB HDD. I am wondering if I can transfer my HDD and RAM from the first one to this one to upgrade it as the person using it doesn't really do much with it just wants it to be a bit faster. Can I just move the HDD and RAM from the silver Macbook to this one or do I have to get new things.

Any help would be great I can get parts at anytime, I was thinking of a Western Digital 750GB SATA Internal Laptop 2.5" Hard Drive, Scorpio Blue with Wintec Value 4GB DDR3 PC3-10660 1333MHz SO-DIMM.

Thanks

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

For the first laptop, I would recommend the WD Internal Blue (previously Scorpio Blue). For the RAM, you could go with Corsair or GSkill. 2x2GB will cost you between $35 and $50. Make sure you buy 1066MHz memory. Higher will work too, but it'll be underclocked anyway. <http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600006178%20600000403&IsNodeId=1&name=4GB%20%282%20x%202GB%29>

For the second laptop, the HDD from the first laptop will work, since it uses SATA drives. However, you'll need to buy the RAM separately, since it takes 200-pin DDR2 RAM, whereas the other uses 204-pin DDR3 DIMMs. You could buy the DDR2 RAM, but it's hard to find, and so is quite expensive. However, considering the present memory, you could buy a single 1GB DIMM for around $20-$30.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Raptor

3. Hakkai687 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't find a HDD called internal blue, would the ram and Hdd i found work ok? That Hdd costs 60 and that RAM is 36 bucks plus I will get a discount if I get it through a specific place. What would be the difference Between getting one stick of RAM vs. 2 sticks to equal the right amount? Also would the speed even though it is faster and would be underclocked would that cause a lag problem?

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm sorry about the confusion. I mean western digital blue, not internal blue. That's just the new name for Scorpio blue. But go ahead with the drive you found. The pricing is also fine.

Your processors support dual channel RAM. So, when you have one stick in each socket, you're using both channels. This is slightly faster. But for a very old laptop, the difference won't be noticeable.

There will be no lag and it won't cause any problem, but for compatibility's sake, it's advised to get the same speed. However, if you're getting a better price on faster RAM, no harm there. In fact, I myself use a faster RAM on my MBP because my brother got it for his but never bothered to use it.

Regards
    Raptor

5. Hakkai687 thread starter macrumors newbie