Upgrading iMac 21,5'' Ram, Some doubts

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SKATE4LIFE, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SKATE4LIFE macrumors member

Specification's of my Mac:

[​IMG]

So recently i wanted to upgrade from my 4 total gb ram to 8 total gb ram, because 4gb for video editing is too slow for me.

I was looking at ram cards for my mac when i remembered by portable pc that i didn't use i could get the ram from there. I was excited with the idea but then confused because maybe the ram cards were too old.

i dont' have really much idea abut ram's, so apple asks these specifications:

[​IMG]

and these are my two cards one of 1GB and 2GB

[​IMG]

so i clearly see my cards are DDR2 NO DDR3, but could i put them in?

thats all i hope you guys can help me :)

2. Rapp macrumors member

Rapp

Looking at those modules they are 667Mhz where the iMac is 1067Mhz in speed. The spare RAM you have would be too slow to keep up with the iMac, I doubt it would even recognise them :)

If you check www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com they have a memory checker which checks your system and gives you the part numbers that are guaranteed to work. They should also tell you what memory you currently have in which DIMM sockets.

Hope this helps.

3. SKATE4LIFE thread starter macrumors member

mm ok thanks, so i can try to put them in and see what happens, nothing willl go wrong or spoil no?

4. Grumbles Guest

I found this comparison of DDR2 and DDR3 on Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2232/2

It looks like they have different voltage requirements despite the fact that it will still physically fit if they are 204-pin DDR2 DIMMs. It might work but the voltage difference would lead me not to risk it, especially with RAM prices being so low currently (at least in the US).

Something like this would be great for your system and use the full RAM speed supported by your iMac:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139481

5. SKATE4LIFE thread starter macrumors member

wow thanks that was the perfect answer.
    so i know what to do now, so the post is resolved if somedey has something diferent to say be welcome :D

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

As mentioned above, not worth the risk of something going wrong, although very slim chance it would. Even it the ram did work, the iMac would slow down the faster ram and clock everything at the 667Mhz speed.

If you watch OCZ's or Newegg's (per his link above) website they were selling 8gig (2ea 4gig ram modules) for as low as $55 per set. In my opinion, buy that, add on to the 4 you have for a total of 12gigs of ram and you will be very happy with the performance increase. I love my 21.5 with 12gigs.

7. SKATE4LIFE thread starter macrumors member

mm yes ok thanks, though they send to spain? :L

8. SKATE4LIFE, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

SKATE4LIFE thread starter macrumors member

Hey, i coment after a time becaus today i was going to purchase the ram but i saw on the website http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139481

Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 Laptop Memory Model KVR1066D3SOK2/8GR

And i have an iMAC 21,5'', Or that isn't important?

also that really is there much change from 4 to 12 (well it looks so because more than double) but is there change? i like having 12 apps normaly sometimes i eddit premiere pro and after effects or photoshop an really 4 is slow

_______________________________________________________________________________EDIT_______
    on a spanish web there are
    KINGSTON 4GB 1066MHZ DDR3 KIT de Kingston 18,95
    KINGSTON 4GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SODIMM de Kingston 19,95

What's the diference?

9. SKATE4LIFE thread starter macrumors member

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx