Upgrading iMac 27" 2010

Discussion in 'iMac' started by L.Shackson, Jan 3, 2012.

1. L.Shackson macrumors newbie

Greetings fine educated people throughout the cyber space.

I have an inquiring problem. Right now i have an i5 QC 2.59 Ghz iMac "27. With the built in graphic video (1 gig) and 4 GB of RAM. However I have 2 programs that i fill they require a boost. One of them is Final Cut Pro X and the second one is Starcraft.

I'm not sure if i should buy more RAM, change the Video Card or pass from i5 to i7.

In fact, I do not even know if changing the past items is 100% certain.

So far my solution is to have some patience in Final Cut Pro X and to play with lowest setting on starcraft.

Any help will be gladly received.

2. Papanate macrumors regular

Ram Good...go to 16gb. i5 to i7 moderately good for speed - but bang for the buck not really. Video Card...not so much either way - unless you aren't getting the resolution on FCP you want.

I would calibrate your monitor to help with the colors.

3. srxtr macrumors 6502a

IMO you'll want at least 8GB of ram. 4GB is enough for the average casual user, but it sounds like you need more.

As for StarCraft, I'm afraid you'll need a better machine with more power to play it at a decent setting, unfortunately.

4. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

unfortunately do to its design the iMac is not user upgradable which means u r stuck with the i5 and the 5750 u can upgrade the ram to 16gb which should help in fcpx a little bit but not much u may want a new gen mac pro which will have a crazy amount of horse power with the i7x and the 7970s u could keep ur iMac and us it as a monitor and that graphics card and processor will be much faster on fcpx and will be able to play everything on max resolutions on starcraft at 60fps

5. Papanate macrumors regular

You should re-phrase that to say the 'iMac is not 'easily' upgraded by users.
    Switching out the CPU isn't all that difficult once the iMac is opened up.

6. leman macrumors 604

Sell the machine and get a (refurbished) 27" iMac 2011. Will be much cheaper and easier than trying to switch CPU/GPU (and possibly breaking something in the process). 8-12GB RAM is always nice as well, but aftermarket RAM is very cheap anyway.

7. L.Shackson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you fine gentlemen. The veredict will be to buy RAM, from 4 to 12. I recall playing SC at ultra-high configuration lacking choppy secuences. I ran iStats to check the actual processing speed and on idle periods, RAM is set at 50%. Whenever i use SC2 where my GPU does not go above 12-13% and processor sustains at 50-60% in battle periods. Also temperature rarely passes 50° Celsius, so i believe it all ends to RAM.

Thanks again.