Upgrading iMac 8,1 Ram for OSX Lion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FNG, Jun 10, 2011.

1. FNG macrumors newbie

FNG

Just trying to get some technical input on a few questions-

I have a 2008 iMac (8,1 with 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) with a new 2TB HD (old one died) that I intend on keeping for a few more years.

1. I intend to run Lion when it comes out, and was wondering if I will need to upgrade the RAM?

2. I have read before that even though there is a 6GB kit available from OWC, I won't see any appreciable gain over the 4GB kit due to 32bit v. 64bit issues in Snow Leopard not utilizing more than 3GB anyway (and I really don't know what all that means, be gentle!). When Lion comes out, will that be the same case (assuming that it was true in the first place)?

3. Will my archaic 2008 chipset handle all of this when running OSX Lion?

Thanks much.

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Your iMac should be fine. Current Macs today are shipping with 2GB to 4GB of RAM. The system requirements for Lion say you need 2GB of RAM. So if you currently have 2GB then you should be fine for a while. Sure the more programs the run the more RAM you should have though.

If you want to upgrade your memory it certainly won't hurt either. I say install Lion when it's released next month, you should have no issue running it at all. And if you really think you need more memory then you can purchase it. Once Lion's out I'm sure we'll all know a lot more of how it handles memory and what's the ideal # to have when running it. :)

3. revjoel macrumors newbie

revjoel

How is Lion running on your 8,1 iMac? I am going to upgrade, but I'm a little worried about the OpenCL requirement as the video card on this model doesn't support it.

Thoughts?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I have a 7.1 iMac, it's a late 2007 machine which obviously is older than yours. I have it configured with 6GB of RAM and it has been running Lion for about 18 months with no problems at all. Upgrade the RAM to 6GB and your machine will perform like new again and will be ready for Lion and Mt. Lion when you take that step.