Upgrading iMac G3?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by allbrokeup, Apr 14, 2008.

1. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

Hi, I recently got a vintage iMac G3 and I am not sure how to upgrade it.

Its specs:

PPC G3, 350 MhZ Processor
    60GB HDD
    CD-ROM Drive
    Mac OS X 10.4.11
    384MB RAM

Well, thats it.

Does anyone know how I can upgrade that to at least have the performance of a G4? Or even better a G5?

And please keep the solutions low-cost.

P.S I already have another Mac thats Intel Based, this is only a side project of mine.

Cheers and Thanks in advance!

allbrokeup.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ditch it.

There aren't any G4 upgrades, the machine has no Firewire, no DVD, and it's dog slow USB 1.1.

If you're not happy with its native performance doing simple tasks, then there's not much hope.

3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

The only upgrades for this Mac that I know of are from FastMac. And these are very expensive and limited in the performance arena. If you are only looking to play around and have money to burn, feel free to upgrade the iMac. Otherwise, buy something newer.

4. allbrokeup thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it has FireWire as I installed Tiger without any hacks. USB 2.0 are there too. All I really want to do is give it a cheap, mac compatible DVD reader or burner, more RAM and a faster HD.

Rumours have it that a faster HD can increase performance tenfold on a computer like that.

Cheers!

allbrokeup

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Then it's not an iMac G3 350 MHz. If it has a physical Firewire port, it must be an iMac DV 400 MHz or higher.
    The 350 Blueberry and Indigo did not come with Firewire. Even so the DV 400 MHz models still came with USB 1.1

The hard drive looks like it has already been upgraded to 60 GB from the tiny 6 GB it came with. You won't get any stunning improvements in speed, certainly not 10 times the speed (who told you that fantasy?)

Anyway, I don't think the specs posted on this machine are accurate, so all bets are off on advice -- we don't know what you have there.