Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsjcsl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
My 160Gb HDD is running out of space and I bought a 320GB Seagate SATAII as replacement. When I tried to remove the old HDD, I found that there was an additional ablde connected to the side of the assembly. What is this for, and how do I connect to the new HDD?:confused:

HungrySeacow

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
West Palm Beach
tsjcsl said:
My 160Gb HDD is running out of space and I bought a 320GB Seagate SATAII as replacement. When I tried to remove the old HDD, I found that there was an additional ablde connected to the side of the assembly. What is this for, and how do I connect to the new HDD?:confused:

I think what you have found is the temp sensor, at least I know that the iSight models have them. Which model are you upgrading?

tsjcsl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I have the iMac G5 20", before iSight (rev A?).

Anyway, I proceeded to remove the assembly, and found that the cable was attached to it. It probably is a temperature sensor.

I am happy to say that the restore went without problem and this morning things seems to be back to normal - but with much more HDD space.

How can the temperature be checked? Does it shut down automatically if it is too hot?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
tsjcsl said:
I have the iMac G5 20", before iSight (rev A?).

Anyway, I proceeded to remove the assembly, and found that the cable was attached to it. It probably is a temperature sensor.

I am happy to say that the restore went without problem and this morning things seems to be back to normal - but with much more HDD space.

How can the temperature be checked? Does it shut down automatically if it is too hot?
You could check with some programs, just google it. iStat Pro is what i use. and yes, your computer will shut off if it becomes too hot, i think its around 125C?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.