Upgrading iMac question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rocknblogger, Nov 9, 2011.

1. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Is it still possible to upgrade hard drives and memory by yourself or do you have to bring it to an Apple store?

And if I was to buy an SSD would the Apple store install it for me?

I know these might be dumb questions but I've been building my own Windows computers for a number of years so I'm used to doing this myself. I upgraded my MBP but I'm just not sure about iMacs.

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

iFixit have a guide on hard drive upgrades, there is a youtube vid showing you what to do.
    Not user friendly, and pretty sure it voids any warranty you may have.

3. johnhw macrumors 6502

For Memory it's pretty easy on the iMac. If you got the newer models (Late 2009 and above) I suggest the hard drive work done by a Genius since they would have to fiddle with the temperature sensors.

4. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

But will they install a third party drive. Like from OWC or OCZ?

And thank you both for your help:)

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I take it you want to put in a super fast aura pro?
    With regard to your question, I have no idea.

6. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yup something like that. Actually I'm getting ready to order one and I need to know this stuff before I do. To get a fully maxed iMac is close to $4000 but if I could do the memory and drives myself I can save about $1700. That's a nice chunk of change.

7. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

y

I'll cut right to the chase if you want to buy an iMac then you are wise to buy it configured with the size HD your want and if you want an SSD order that option with the iMac. Apple WILL NOT perform upgrades especially with 3rd party parts. You may find an AASP to do the work but your local Apple Store will not do it. The Apple SSD while not top of the line is perfectly adequate for most people's needs. You can easily upgrade the RAM yourself however upgrading other parts is not easy and may invalidate your warranty. If your questions are because you feel an iMac is expensive and you can save money then simply saved longer until you can easily afford it. iMacs do not use off the shelf HD's (they have the temp sensor integrated in) so the only HD's that will work are ones that come with the iMac.

You may get some on these forums that will tell you you can upgrade yourself however unless you are extremely technical and know precisely what you're doing you will probably end up spending more that ordering what you want in the first place.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

No Apple store will install hardware they did not sell. You cannot bring in your own RAM/HDD/SSD/etc and expect Apple to install it. There is a reasoning behind it - there's no way for Apple to tell if the product you bring in is even working, so if Apple tried to install it it wouldn't work and you would blame Apple. The techs in the store might not know the proper procedure for installing something not sold by Apple either.

9. rocknblogger thread starter macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

This is what I figured the answer to be but to be clear I did mean brand new sealed in the box. I certainly would understand not wanting to install anything that was open or used.

I'm just wondering about the hard/SSD drives. OWC doesn't seem to have iMac specific drives, or I'm just not finding them on their site.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Even brand new sealed in box may not work; there are still DOA devices of all kinds. Apple stores don't want to get involved in such things. Apple wants you to buy products from them. Besides, suppose they tried it and broke the new part - Apple would have to replace it, and they don't want to do that.