Upgrading iMac ram

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ubundows, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Ubundows macrumors member

Is it easier than upgrading PC ram? I had a whack at it few years ago on my windows machine and messed it up. I don't want to pay the high price apple charge though. What's the worst that can happpen and if I replace it with the origional apple ram and take it back, will I be able to get a repair done or replacement if it goes wrong?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

I can use a screw driver lol. It's the actual swapping of ram. I don't know if I was too forceful or put it in wrong.

4. WayneStewart macrumors newbie

I saw a guy once destroy his RAM slot by forcefully installing the RAM incorrectly. In a case like this the warranty wouldn't cover it and you might need a new computer. I'd suggest that if you aren't confident that you're up to the job that you take your iMac with you when you buy the RAM. If you choose an off peak time, odds are pretty good that they'll install it for little or no charge

5. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

I'd be buying it from crucial.com, if they have any stores there aren't any near me.

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Do you have any PC repair shops around you? If so want don't you take it to them. They might charge a small fee but it worth it if your not to comfortable installing it yourself..

7. CBGFilms macrumors regular

Yes, buy from Crucial, do it yourself, I'm sure you won't have any problems :)
    You can get 4GBs of RAM for the iMac for under £50 from crucial!

8. Ubundows thread starter macrumors member

I do, a few miles away. But I don't drive and by the time I've paid for the gas and installation I may aswell pay Apple's prices.

9. yojon macrumors newbie

Its not that bad

I just did it and it was really not that terrible. It required some small phillips screwdrivers, a forceps for manipulating a little plug and a putty knife. The most unnerving part was releasing the plastic clips that hold the clamshell case together. They make an unpleasant sound when coming apart.

Beyond that, it is just a matter of removing 4 screws (1 is longer than the other three), and removing a 2-wire plug from a header on the MB. Getting the ROM chips in and out seems to be no big deal. It is a little hard to replace the plug without a foceps.

Put 2x2 GB in my 2.0 G Core 2 Duo and it recognizes all of it and seems to use it all too! Pleasant surprise!

10. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

i thought the max you could put in imac was 4gb? what ram did you use?

11. yojon macrumors newbie

oops typo

It was 2x2 gb. Thanks for catching the typo!

12. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Is it really? The Santa-Rosa MBP supports up to 6 Gb (4+1 and 4+2 configurations).

Does anybody know if this will work on an iMac?