Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
There was something about upgrading in the Apple Stores using their connection as some home connections are limited. (I cant find where this was said) Anyway...

How would this work, would you just walk into the store with your MacBook Pro and start using their connection or would you have to notify an employee what you are doing there...

Im in the UK by the way.

ajo

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Well, since you have a laptop you could go to the Apple Store and download it, regardless of what Apple might provide at the store. I doubt they'd kick you out for doing that.

Whether or not there will be an actual kiosk to put the installer on flash drives, we'll have to wait and see tomorrow.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I was wondering if they were going to somehow store Lion on the LAN of the Apple store so that people could have pretty fast "downloads." I was thinking that this might have been one reason they sent HDD with Lion on them.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
9to5 mac speculated that that's what the Mac Pros sent to stores were for, as a server for distributing upgrades. We'll soon see.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
There was something about upgrading in the Apple Stores using their connection as some home connections are limited. (I cant find where this was said) Anyway...

How would this work, would you just walk into the store with your MacBook Pro and start using their connection or would you have to notify an employee what you are doing there...

Im in the UK by the way.

ajo

I think it was something to do with them having Lion preloaded on Mac Pros and you can go grab the copy that way which can be downloaded in minutes.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/1...-pro-servers-to-distribute-lion-to-customers/

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Im in the UK by the way.

ajo

You can download anything you want whether they actively promote using their free Internet to download Lion or not. You've always been able to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.