Resolved Upgrading Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by actolia, Dec 10, 2015.

1. actolia macrumors newbie

actolia

For a Macbook Pro 9,2 (mid 2012), what is the best option in these:
    • Replacing my 500gb HDD for a 512GB SSD

• Replacing my 500gb HDD for a 1TB SSHD (More space since it's cheaper)

• Replacing my 500gb HDD for a <512GB SSD, and swaping the SuperDrive for my 500Gb HDD

• Keeping my 500gb HDD, but swaping the SuperDrive for a <512gb SSD

Specs/details of the computer:
    • MacBook Pro 9,2 (13" mid-2012) running OS X El Capitan

• 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

• 2,5GHz Intel Core i5

• 500gb HDD

• Windows 10 installed through Bootcamp

• I plan on creating a partition for Linux in the future (I'll need space for it)

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

SSD by far. Space is something only you can answer

3. Just_My_Opinion macrumors member

Go for the SSD if the budget allows. Samsung 850 Pros are fast and have a 10 yr warranty!
    Without additional software, you will need to recreate the bootcamp partition. Cloning and restore from back-up does not work, I've tried.

4. theluggage macrumors 68040

I'd replace the old drive with a 512GB SSD, for starters. It will make it feel like a new machine. Personally, I'd be tempted by the 1TB SSDs at current prices.

If you need more storage (and rarely use optical drives), re-locating the old drive to the SuperDrive bay is a cheap way of getting extra. The main argument for doing it that way is that, in the past, some MBPs had trouble running 6Gb/s drives in the optical bay, but the old 3Gb/s drives worked fine.

Or - missing option - if you have lots of video/media files you want to carry around - put a SSD as the main drive, and a cheap'n'cheerful 1 or 2TB HD in the optical bay.

My 2011 MBP has a 256GB SSD in the main bay and the original 750GB HD in the optical bay.

5. actolia thread starter macrumors newbie

actolia

The missing option you're saying... Could I install all Windows through Bootcamp on my 500Gb HDD with less than that 500GB (let's set 200Gb for example), so I would have 256GB SSD + the rest of my HDD on Mac OS?

6. Just_My_Opinion macrumors member

Windows (Bootcamp) can be installed on any internal drive on a mac. Whether you replace the DVD drive with a HD is up to you. Have the OSs on two separate drives does help performance.

7. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

While that's true, Windows will not (easily) install to a HHD or SSD that has been placed in the optical drive position. Windows would first have to be installed while the drive is in the internal position. After Windows is installed the drive can be moved to the optical position. A PITA.

8. Just_My_Opinion macrumors member

The computer won't know the different between a drive connect via the internal bay or the optical bay. I don't understand your statement. Both should be SATA. Some Hybrid SSDs have issues with OS X.

9. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Maybe my previous post was unclear.... Windows will refuse to install to a HHD or SSD that is located in the optical bay of a MacBook Pro or MacBook. I have seen this occur numerous times. It wasn't until the HHD or SSD was moved to the internal drive position that Windows would install. The reason is because of built in anti piracy by Microsoft. When Windows "sees" the drive in the optical bay, it "sees" it as an external drive. I understand there is a work around, but the usual resolution is to install Windows from the internal drive position and then move it to the optical position. This is for Boot Camp installations and not virtual machine installations.

10. actolia thread starter macrumors newbie

actolia

Then if the SSD is in the optical drive bay and the HDD is in the main bay, is it possible to run windows from the HDD and Mac from the SSD normally?

11. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Yes, that would be desired since OS X would boot from the SSD in the optical bay. That's what most folks wind up doing and what works best.