Upgrading iOS 8 apps in iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Wongstea, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Wongstea
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I'm one of the lucky ones still running iOS 7. Most apps have been providing updates for iOS 8 compatibility since the day after it was launched, but what does that mean for iOS 7 users? For the most part, unless the update lists improvements other than "optimized for iOS 8", I don't bother. I accidentally clicked Update All just now and I'm wondering if that will slow down the apps or anything.

2. C DM
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Westmere

It shouldn't do anything bad. You might get some bug fixes and other things that any other update would bring, just not anything limited to iOS 8 basically. A lot of apps are changing to require iOS 8, so those updates or new apps you wouldn't really even be able to get.

3. Wongstea
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

So far the only issue I've noticed is that iOS8 apps have a much larger display/UI to adjust to the large screens of the iPhone 6 and 6+... very irritating that some UI features take up half the screen of my 5c now (the newest Google Maps update is a prime example).

4. C DM
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Westmere

What features take up a lot of space? Aren't the devs designing it so that it's compatible with iPhone 6 and 6+ screens, but also compatible with smaller screens--basically it will adjust accordingly.

5. Wongstea
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not the worst thing in the world but check out how big that blue part is at the top, a lot bigger than the pre-iOS8 menu. Maybe it's just this app. Something to look out for though.

Attached Files:

6. thedeejay
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

thedeejay

That's not too bad, you'll be alright. As long as the apps don't slow down you'll be fine!