Upgrading IP4 4.1 to 4.3.3 Preserve BB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jRbizzle, May 9, 2011.

1. jRbizzle macrumors newbie

Ok. So I been trying to look online for the best way to upgrade my IP4 from 4.1 to 4.3.3 the lastest FW, while preserving my BB 01.59.00.

What is the difference between going the route of TinyUmbrella vs that of Snowbreeze (im a windows user). This is basically where i got confused so I decided to come here. I would like your guys advise on this and maybe a link to a good guide for which ever you recommend.
    THanks in advance guys.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Just use TU. Sn0wbreeze is buggy and while I use it on iDevices that I plan to re-sell, I would never use it on my primary phone.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I'm also a windows user and I went so far as to get a vmware image of OSX so I could use pwnage tool which I can say works great. I have never actually used sn0wbreeze so I couldn't say what it does. More of a lets see how convoluted we can make this process type of situation. I wanted to play with OSX anyway.

So anyway sn0wbreeze, pwnage tool or tinyumbrella will all get an iphone 4 up to 4.3.3 with keeping the baseband.

5. jRbizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for the quick response. I guess I am just going to use TU since I already have it downloaded.
    Thanks again for the clarification.

6. jRbizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I was able to update my phone to 4.3.3 and preserve my BB 5.19.00. Do i just jailbreak with Redsnow now using the same FW i used for tinyumbrella?

I got a bit confused because its posted "ultrasn0w unlockers must stay away from redsn0w! Use only a custom IPSW to update to 4.3.3, to avoid updating your baseband."

Thank you again !

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, just JB with redsnow.
    Your bb is already maintained with tinyumbrella.
    Redsnow wont touch that, it will just JB.

8. jRbizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You so much for quick response about to do it right now :D

9. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Sounds like you're on the right path. Good luck!

10. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Let me know how it goes preserving your 1.59 baseband. I'm a little afraid of doing it because I hear the signal goes all wacky only like one bar or something like that and it some cases the loss of MMS and VVM occurs. Can anyone confirm if the jailbreak to 4.3.3 while preserving 1.59 baseband is solid yet?

11. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

That was the case about 4.3.2

I have yet to hear anyone say anything about 4.3.3. I've been holding out like you to hear the answer about the signal as well.

Can someone who has an iP4 with 1.59.00 running 4.3.3 speak up?

12. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

I've unfortunately seen a few posts saying they are experiencing the same issues as on 4.3.2 with 1.59.0

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Yes, 4.3.3 with 1.59.00bb will cause signal strength to be displayed as one bar. Ultrasn0w will fix that but make sure you pop your sim card out and put it back in to get your mms and vvm back.

14. duffsrp macrumors member

What if I'm not using Ultrasnow? Any other way of getting the signal back to normal? I don't know if my mms or VVM are working or not.

15. duffsrp macrumors member

I guess I'll run Ultrsn0w. It seems to be working although I'm on at&t in US. Thanks for the help.

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Like I said, you need to install ultrasn0w to get your signal strength to be displayed correctly. Once you install it, power off your phone and power it back on. Then pop your sim out and put it back in. You can then test out your mms and vvm but I can virtually guarantee that they will be working after that.

17. AdnanA macrumors newbie

iPhone 3gs compatibility?

I just want to be 100% sure before proceeding:

Will the TinyUmbrella method work on an iPhone 3GS as well? I am currently running iOS 4.1 baseband 6.15.00, unlocked w/ ultrasnow.

and if it's not too much to ask, could someone kindly post a link to the TinyUmbrella method of preserving the baseband + jb/unlocking? Thanks!