Upgrading - iPad Air 1 to iPad Pro 10.5"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theredensign, Jun 21, 2017.

1. theredensign macrumors member

theredensign

Hi all,

Has anyone upgraded from the iPad Air 1 to the new iPad Pro 10.5"?

If so, would you say that it was worth it? Is the boost in performance considerably noticeable?

I ask as I notice that my iPad Air 1 seems to lag and behave in quite an 'un-Apple' like way in terms of performance. It is quite disappointing given that I've only had the tablet for 3 years and since updating to iOS 10, the iPad's performance became quite slow and juddery. In addition, background apps regularly re-load and will not retain specific pages.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the iPad Pro is expensive, but I would be willing to upgrade if it is a solid and somewhat future-proof option.

Many thanks.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

iPad Pro 10.5" is a beast. You'll even notice a huge difference upgrading from the last gen iPad Pro.

Honestly it's a complete killer when it comes to performance and that 120Hz screen makes such a difference. It's leaps and bounds above any other tablet.

3. theredensign thread starter macrumors member

theredensign

Thanks for your reply!

4. AidenL macrumors 6502

I've done it, and it's noticeably faster opening apps.

The screen is much better also.

The screen size is just really good too.

5. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Do it
    * Amazing display
    * Amazing performance
    * Amazing battery life
    * Amazing Pencil
    * Amazing speakers

6. theredensign thread starter macrumors member

theredensign

Thanks for your replies!

Aiden - With regards to the iPad Air 1, did you have the same issues that I have with poor performance on iOS 10?

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I loved the iPad Air 1, but never could get used to that thumpy hollow sound when I tapped on the screen. I thought it was odd, even before I knew why it was happening. The fully laminated display on the 10.5 will blow you away.

8. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I think its cool sounds like drums

9. SB-MBP macrumors 6502

SB-MBP

If the iPad Air ran iOS 10 poorly.. does that mean my Air 2 is going to be slow on iOS 11?! Noooooooo

10. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

No from initial beta, my impressions from what Ive seen is that iOS 11 on the Air 2 and newer devices will be smoother then iOS 10 was. At worst its going to be equal to iOS 10 performance which is perfectly awesome.

11. SB-MBP macrumors 6502

SB-MBP

Yeah, sometimes I'm amazed how old this iPad is.. 3 years old. Performing better than previous iOS devices did from day one!

This is why I love the iPad and I feel Apple has blessed us by taking it so serious in iOS11+

12. jgo78 macrumors 6502

I have the iPad Air 1 and just bought the new 10.5. It's so much smoother. The iPad Air is still ok but compared to the new one, there isn't really any comparison. The huge CPU/gpu increase and the ram increase, 120hz display makes the whole experience so much better. I'll keep the air as the secondary ipad. I still have the original ipad 2 still attached to a charger, might be dead by now, gotta check it.

13. Sunshoopa macrumors regular

Sunshoopa

Yeah, my Air isn't what it used to be either since I've been on iOS 10. I think the lack of RAM is getting to it. I am also jailbroken though with some tweaks, so that's probably adding to that. The iPad 2 to the Air was a huge upgrade for me, but this has 120hz, 4 speakers, new home button, and a whole bunch of stuff compared to the iPad 2 to Air upgrade.

Planning on getting the 10.5" next month (or on a good deal sooner) myself!

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I just updated my Air1 to iOS10 last week. I came from 7.

It's a whole new device, stable and running much better.

It will be hard to give up as a second device when my12.9 gets here probably next week.

My kids have the 9.7 pro and it rans heads above this one!

15. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I haven't experienced any issues with iOS 10, but I can say that the 2nd Beta of iOS 11 tanks the experience. It's still early, so plan on improvements.

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

And this is why iOS Bonds so well with the iPad , is improves the performance and efficiency of the iPad, which is why a lot of iPad users tend not to upgrade annually, it's because the iPads are so strong and the last well past their lifespan.

17. AidenL macrumors 6502

Yep, I had quite a bit of reloading pages in Safari, and when scrolling down, I used have to wait for the page to load a lot.

Also typing could be laggy at times. Even deleting text might lag.

18. Sunshoopa macrumors regular

Sunshoopa

Usually what I get when using Safari. I do 99% of my browsing the internet with the iPad so I want a good experience. I hear the newer ones rarely reload tabs and stuff even with the 2 GB of RAM, so I can't imagine with 4 GB.

For those who have it, how is the reloading tabs on Safari on the 10.5"? Can you switch between 4-5 without reloading? I usually can't do more than a max of 3 depending on the page.

19. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Is this even a question? iPad 1 to iPad Pro 10.5 is huge... and when iOS 11 comes out you'll have full power to run as intended.