Upgrading iPad - need help with restore

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Elfanger, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Elfanger macrumors newbie

I have updated from iPad regular to an iPad mini.

I connected my iPad to the itunes and performed a transfer apps and a backup.

I then connected my ipad mini and performed a restore from backup selecting the backup I had just made.

After the restore is completed, my settings are all correct, like my email accounts, contacts, calendars. However, none of my apps get put onto the device...

In the past, when I upgraded my iPhone and restored it on the new device it would always put EVERYTHING (all user settings as well as apps) onto my new phone. This would include apps with all their data, such as games along with any associated save files. It would also keep the layout and folder structure of all my apps.

Does anyone know how to get the backup working properly.

Thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. Elfanger thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I trie it a few times.

It syncs my settings but does not install the apps.

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I guess if all else fails, you can reinstall your apps from the App Store. Once you buy them, they're always available. Except the data, unfortunately, if there's any stored.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmmm, have no idea why it isn't working for you, I restored my iPad backup to the iPad mini, and it worked perfectly. Have you tried the restore process again, from the very beginning?

6. Elfanger thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried from the beginning.

I can put the apps onto the device again, but then I lose all of my data. I wanted to keep my data and game save files.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I would try:

1. Connect mini to iTunes.
    2. Click "Restore."
    3. Wait for iTunes to download iOS and restore mini.
    4. When done, iTunes will ask you if you want to setup as new or restore from backup. Select the backup you made from your regular iPad.
    5. Walk away from your computer and do something else for a few hours, so you aren't tempted to fiddle with the mini until the restore is totally complete. A common problem is that people will mistakenly think the restore is done and disconnect the iPad before the restore is complete.
    6. If your apps still don't appear, do another restore from backup. Walk away and let the restore complete, as above.

Oh, and if you still have your regular iPad, you might want to make a fresh backup before doing the above.