Upgrading iPhone 3GS after jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by newbie1122, Jan 14, 2012.

1. newbie1122 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I had to jailbreak my iphone 3GS when I went out of the US. It is currently running v4.3.3.

Is there a way to upgrade it to v5.0.1 without un-jailbreaking it?

If not, how do I un-jailbreak it? I am back in the US now, so I am fine with un-jailbreaking it, because I can always jailbreak it again if needed.

In the middle, I tried to upgrade without realising it, and it became completely frozen, so I want to make sure that doesn't happen again. That time, someone fixed it for me, but now I have to figure it all out on my own!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If you need to preserve your phone baseband, just plug it into Itunes, hit upgrade, it will restore your phone to 5.0.1 factory setting. If you want to jailbreak it again, untethered jailbreak is available for 5.0.1, just use redsn0w 0.9.10b3 to do it.

3. newbie1122 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the idea. However, last time when I tried to upgrade without un-jailbreaking, it froze up, and I had to go through a very complicated procedure to fix it....will it allow me to upgrade? Don't I have to restore it first?

----------

I am also not sure what a 'phone baseband' is, or what mine is! :(

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Check yours first. Go to setting, general, about and look at the modem firmware.

5. newbie1122 thread starter macrumors newbie

It says 06.15.00.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Use redsn0w 0.9.10b3 to build customs firmware and restore your phone to it.

7. newbie1122 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry, I have no idea how to do that! I thought you suggested that to jailbreak it again once I have v5.0.1.

Just to clarify, right now, I have v4.3.3, and it is jailbroken. I want to upgrade while keeping all my data, but I don't mind un-jailbreaking it. I don't know anything about how to go about doing it...

Thank you!

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

On your opening thread, you did not indicate it has 06.15 (Ipad baseband) on it. I was assumed it just jailbroken.

So, because of the ipad baseband, you can't just restore it to the official firmware. You must build a customs firmware with no baseband so you can restore to it.

Iclarified.com and/or redmondpie.com have information on how to do this for you.