Carrier Upgrading iPhone mid-cycle Verizon question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Traverse, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I was hoping someone here could answer this verizon question because their IM support is...lackluster.

I am currently under a 2 year contract from an iPhone 6 from 2014 (4 months left). I want to buy an iPhone SE outright. This doesn't violate my contract correct? They can just exchange the SIM cards and I go about my day correct?

When my contract is up this year, will my bill decrease because they are no longer subsidizing a phone or is that only in there "new" plans? I don't think my plan breaks out a phone plan because I bought it subsidized, not on installment.

Hopefully some verizon customers can answer these. Thanks.

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Nope if you buy full price it has no effect on your contract

3. valinda macrumors 6502

valinda

Your bill should decrease when your contract is up..I also have Verizon.

If you live near an Apple Store, it's better to buy from them. I had a friend that broke
    the screen to his 6s plus. Verizon said it would be $200 for them to replace the screen.
    He went to Apple Store, and they charged $100. After the replacement he couldn't hear
    people on the phone, so Apple just gave him a new phone.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It depends on your plan.
    If you're on old subsidized plan then buying full price will not decrease your monthly phone bill.
    Only if you change wireless plans.

5. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

In the US, it doesn't matter where you buy the phone from as it still comes with a 1 year warranty from Apple. As far as screen replacements are concerned, here is what Apple offers:
    https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/screen-damage

But generally speaking I would also recommend buying directly from Apple whenever possible.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

I don't believe Verizon has anything to decrease the bill once the contract is done on anything but the most current plans.

7. valinda macrumors 6502

valinda

Well mine does decrease. Not by a huge amount. I have one contract that expires this July.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 15, 2016 ---
    Yes, I know that. I'm talking about a situation that was not under warranty.

8. willmtaylor, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No, purchasing a phone outright doesn't affect your contract. (Furthermore, even changing your plan doesn't affect your contract. You're only obligated to be a VZW customer for 2 years b/c you bought the phone at a discount.)

Your bill won't automatically decrease, as phone payments aren't baked in like newer plans. HOWEVER, the day you go off contract, you can call/chat with VZW and they'll take $15/mo. off each line that is off contract and considered "month-to-month."

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've been trading up on some recent changes with Verizon and it seems they stopped offering that discount for lines that don't have it already (basically those that have it can keep it, but lines that come off a contract, for example, can't add it anymore).

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hmmm....haven't encountered this.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

12. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse