Upgrading iphone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bram.96, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

hello there!

I have a small question. I'm currently using an iPhone 5s with a Apple Watch, but I'm going to buy a new iPhone next week. My question is, how do I transfer the data of the Apple Watch to the new phone. I'm planning to set up the phone as new, but I want to keep the health data that I've gathered from the watch. Do any of you have an answer?

Thank you!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It looks like the watch backs up to the phone and the phone backs up to iCloud.

If you are planning on setting up the phone as new, it looks like you'll have to do the same for the watch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204518

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

There may be 3rd party apps that can selective restore data to the phone. But, the reality is that you probably cannot move the watch to a newly setup phone and keep your watch and activity setup and data.

4. Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

Thanks for the advice, I will probably just restore the phone from a back up, I don't want to lose my health and fitness data and achievements.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If you do an encrypted backup through iTunes it will preserve your Watch data also.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

This is actually a requirement for a phone upgrade. Without the encrypted backup, you will lose all heath data.

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Quoting for posterity.

This needs to be a sticky. Maybe even a topic titled, "Encrypt your iPhone backup to maintain Health and Watch data."