Upgrading: is it just about GPS & 3G ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sanzu08, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Sanzu08 macrumors member

Sanzu08

Okay, I was all hyped up to ungrade to the 3G on Friday but couldn't get hold of a 16GB one. So now that I've had the weekend to play around with 2.0 on my original iPhone I'm wondering: "Do I really need to upgrade?"

I mean I like the idea of GPS and the speedy 3G, but is it worth me starting a new 18 month contract with O2 just for that???

Would you say there have been any other improvements in terms hardware reliability etc in the new phone ???/

Come on, convince me I need to upgrade !

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3G, GPS, "warmer" colored screen, flush headphone jack, non-metal back, bigger, more curvy.

Decide from that.

3. RooDBwoY macrumors newbie

whilst i'm usually at the forefront of anything technological (within reason) i have no intention of upgrading to be honest.

i love pretty much anything apple (although i'm firmly from a pc background, so not a fan-boy) and the iphone is awesome. i bought a 16gb one ages back and pwned it.

for the sake of gps, which i won't use and 3g which is extremely patchey anywhere in the world, at best, i just don't see the point in having a fatter phone with less metal content :p

Exchange push mail is where it's at for me as i run my own exchange environment and that is going to be very handy. 3g is not needed for that as most attachments are far too big to open even with a functioning 3g connection (which most people won't ever see).

couple all that to the fact that you HAVE to have a contract now and the ridiculous 'free' costs on contract (to get it free in the UK is £75/month for 18 months. i make that £1,350 for the handset. i paid £330 for my iphone with no contract directly from apple) i personally wouldn't bother for slightly improved 'gps' and patchey, at best, data connection.

but that's just me and i'll probably get flamed for saying so :apple:

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I'm upgrading for all of the reasons that Tallest Skil said plus the face that my iPhone right now is a 4GB day 1 iPhone and I'm going to need more storage for these apps and I'm happy that the speakerphone quality is better/slightly louder.

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

He means yellow tinted.....lol :D

6. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

The selling points for me were more storage and 3G. I had the 8GB first gen and was running out of space, I didn't have enough room for as many videos and music as I'd like to have on it. Having the 16GB has been wonderful, I have about 1100 songs and 31 TV Shows with 4.5GB still left. The 3G speeds are amazing and call quality is highly improved. Haven't really used the GPS and probably won't until I'm driving around somewhere that I need it but overall it was worth the upgrade to me.

7. MaxiMart macrumors newbie

8. Zathu macrumors regular

Zathu

Add better sound quality. I'm so glad I can actually use speakerphone now.

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have asked myself the same thing

It comes down to these factors for me:
    - Do I need the extra space?
    - Do I have the money for the extra price I will pay monthly?
    - Do I really need 3G daily? Is Wifi near by?

I personally am keeping my original because I am by Wifi almost all day though I could use the space so I may get one soon

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Have had my iphone since day one and I am upgrading for a couple of reasons.

- space, filling up the 8gb

- 3g has no data noise, unlike my current iphone. Causes speakers and everything to buzz

- supposedly better speakerphone / call quality. I can't use my phone on speakerphone because of this problem.

- faster internet speeds - don't need it, but its a reason

- my 15% off due to my business association will apply, so I negate any extra charges or at least such a small amount its moot.

Those are my reasons, but if I get one that is a little worse than my old iphone, its going back.

11. Cask Guest

Well I got the iPhone 3G and I notice big difference in the following data:
    1. Call audio quality, in my opinion calling with 3G on sounds much better that the V1 phone. It is a lot clearer. Also, in my opinion, the speaker is a lot louder than on the first phone.
    2. 3G on Mexico is really fast, that was a great surprise. I am getting speeds of around 1.6 mbps, which I guess is better than what most people are getting on some U.S. areas. However, it really depends on where you are. For me it is a great improvement over the V1 phone (especially now that I have am unlimited data plan). On edge I got speeds of 115 kbps at most.
    3. FINALLY A FLUSH HEADPHONE PORT!!!!!! I was tired of bringing my griffin adapter everywhere with me.

Cons:
    1. Design: I really dislike the thinner black bars on the sides of the screen. They make this iPhone look like a pirated version of the first one or something, especially when put side by side. The black back doesn't really bothers me, but I preferred back of the first iPhone.

That's the only con I can think about, battery life has been almost the same as the first iPhone, which I charged every night.

12. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

my biggest reason for upgrading is the same reason most people are hating on the new phone. The monthly cost. Yes it costs 10dollars a month more for data and 0 texts. BUT, they are letting you use FAN discounts on you monthly bills now. So for me. 60 a month (voice, data, 200 texts) and a 400 dollar phone. VS the NEW phone for 300 dollars=16gigs too!! now 80 dollars a month (voice, new data at 10bucks more, and 1,000 texts at 10bucks) but take into account my 20% FAN discount from work and im at 64 bucks a month for me!! SWEET. cheaper phone! more features! bigger Harddrive! 800 more texts! all for 4 dollars a month more!

13. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

On the new Iphone 3G, you can surf the web (on 3G and be on the phone at the same time) You can not do this on the OLD phone. The new phone has a better sounding phone and speakers, and the new phone has a better camera.

You decide....its your money. Most people have decided to get the new one...they sold 1 million in the first weekend.

14. davyreins macrumors 6502

If I had the original iphone I don't think I would upgrade to the new 3g. I say that because I wouldn't be using the 3g speed religiously, I could live without having the great accuracy of GPS for a bit, wouldn't want to have to spend more money, and you can get the same software anyway. If you really need the faster speeds, have to know more accurately where you are and can afford it, then go for it. If not, I would wait until the next model which may have more drastic hardware upgrades.

15. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I believe this is false. iPhone 3G has the exact same camera as gen 1. It would be nice if at least the optics were better or something but no, I'm pretty sure there is no difference. It certainly is spec'd the same (2MP).

16. w4rmk macrumors regular

For me it was because they added Exchange support which was a requirement for me in order to receive my corporate email. I couldn't go with the original iPhone because of it. Of course I know the original iPhone also gets the Exchange support but for those of us who don't have the original we are going with the new version which rewarded those of us who waited with 3G, GPS and a much lower purchase price.

17. RFR79 macrumors member

More memory

The main reason I upgraded was for the memory. I sold my 8GB original iphone on ebay for $350 two days before WWDC. So for me I look at it this way. I paid $50 to use my old iphone for a year and got to upgrade to a better iphone with double the memory for free. :D:D