Upgrading jailbroken 1.1.4 to 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by careys7, Jul 10, 2008.

1. careys7 macrumors newbie

I'd like to upgrade jailbroken iPod Touch (with Jan software) that's been jailbroken with ziphone to the 2.0 firmware (yes I realise that I will loose installer etc)

How do I do it without screwing my iPod?

2. Ajiththan macrumors newbie

restore ipod back to 1.1.4 and then update itunes to 7.7 and 2.0 will be there when it's release, just click the update button on itunes, simple as that

3. careys7 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I don't need to download the 1.1.4 firmware (it's already in itunes) and just hit the restore button?

that sounds easy.. thanks.

4. thecrackerjack macrumors member

When I restored mine to 1.1.4 it had to download some 200+mb in itunes then applied the restore.

5. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Thanks for the tip. I was aswell looking to update, so just restore were done. Let's get apps going then :)

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you have to RESTORE not update to install 2.0 ;)

7. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Yes, restore 1.1.4 first to go back to normal, then update to 2.0.

8. careys7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok all working fine on normal 1.1.4

Something interesting though is that my 'carrier' name stayed customised even though I'm now running the standard firmware. Cool I guess.

9. darxun macrumors member

To do list in softwareupdate 2.0?

Is there a to do list in this new softwareupdate (2.0)?

10. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

There are several free in the App store.

11. GUILTIE macrumors regular

Yes some things don't seem to be completely cleared when you restore. I D/L'd the mail, weather, etc. apps on 1.1.3 Jailbroken, and then when I updated to 1.1.4 the apps were still there. It seems best to manually deleted everything you have added to the Touch before you restore it, but i suppose it's too late for that...

12. metalgreek, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

metalgreek macrumors newbie

13. careys7 thread starter macrumors newbie

...and it even stuck around for 2.0 :D

14. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

1.1.4 Rocks

don't fix something when it's not broke! i think 2.0 is a JOKE :rolleyes:

hello. i just got my ipod touch about a 3 weeks ago and it came with the 1.1.4 with software upgrades.

after using it for about two or three hours or so i decided to jailbreak it and see what it could do. after reading all i could i tried using ziphone to do the job. one click and it was good to go ! you can't ask for anything more in a program like that!

but after playing with downloads that i had no idea of what they where i bricked my touch. but it was so easy to fix using itunes restore.

i can't be more happy now i got something to click when out an about. with people making there own programs i'll stick 1.1.4.

15. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Hell, upgrading to 2.0 is so much easier than that.

Simply upgrade. You don't have to restore or delete anything - it automatically clears everything.

Cakewalk.

16. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

i thought the ipod was already at 1.1.4... i want to do the same thing to my new ipod that i bought the other day. (i have the same set up... 1.1.4 ipod firmware that was jailbroken with ziphone. do i just hit restore in itunes to un-jailbreak it then download 2.0 firmware? sorry if that question drives some of you nuts. i'm very computer-illiterate.)

17. Ajiththan macrumors newbie

yea, if your ipod touch is jailbroken with 1.1.4 you can get itunes to download the original 1.1.4 and restore from that or you can download 1.1.4 from some other website and then restore it. By download it form a website your going to need to do the home button way, when you hold down the home button connect it to your computer and then let go of the home button when the connect to itunes logo comes up on your ipod touch. then you hold shift and click the restore button if your on a pc or alt on a mac (not sure about the mac way), when you do this it'll ask you for the 1.1.4 restore file, find that and then your ipod will restore. then you can update to 2.0. hope this helps, i know, it's a bit long :)

if you need more info check out the MacRumors Guide on restoring "How to Restore"

18. AGold macrumors newbie

Do you have to restore to 1.1.4?

Conflicting methods... which one is it? Or do both work.

19. finalcut macrumors 6502

that is not true at all. I had a 1.1.4 jailbreak one and only update to 2.0 without having to restore first.

20. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

its always advised if you have a jailbroken ipod and want to update to official to restore to a clean version first, its as a just in case things go t*ts up after upgrade type thing

21. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Same as me. no restore needed in my case - just an update. 1.1.4 to 2.0.

22. AGold macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses!

Just curious, doesn't upgrading essentially clean out everything? It gets rid of installer, and all third party apps, right? What does restoring clean out that upgrading doesn't? Thanks.

23. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Updating has been known to leave stuff like apps and files from those apps on the phone, but since they're not supported, they become "invisible" on the springboard, you can however see the files browsing your phone trhough ssh.

Restoring on the other side, does wipe out everything, so that's the reason its more recommended.

It's also helpful when certain apps change permissions or move system files, restoring ensures, no weirdness will happen afterwards.

24. ipodtouchftw macrumors member

u just restore, then uprgrade. I don't recommend 2.0 though if u have a jailbroken iPod already. I regret upgrading :(

25. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

not always, I have found in the past upgrading can leave things behind, restore is the one that wipes everything off. If update wiped everything you wouldn't have music after updating :p