Upgrading Jailbroken 3.1.2 phone to 4 Advice!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aaron000, Jun 26, 2010.

1. aaron000 macrumors newbie

I am going to upgrade my 3.1.2 iphone3gs to 4.0, what is the best way of doing it?
    The phone is jailbroken and I just want to make sure it upgrades fine without me having to restore it and lose my texts.
    Is it just easiest to upgrade through itunes or is there a better way?

Thanks for any advice :)

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Backup's store your texts so you will not lose them. Going to iOS4 requires a restore.

What are you currently jailbroken with?

3. aaron000 thread starter macrumors newbie

My friend was on Jailbroken 3.1.3 and did it but when she did the restore and updated it didn't work well or something so she had to go back to scratch and lost all her texts.
    Apols as I am not the best with technical things!
    I used blackra1n then Cydia.

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

That's because you can't upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4. If she's restored from a backup it would bring back all her setting including texts.

If your on 3.1.2 and JB with blackra1n you either need a mac to run pwnage tools 4.01 to make you a custom ipsw or you need to find one on the internet. You can then restore to that IPSW.

5. aaron000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry but that means nothing to me! I use a PC for itunes.
    I am not bothered about the phone being jailbroken for 4.0 really, I just want it upgraded without losing the texts.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Then just upgrade to 4.0 via itunes if you don't care about it being JB. But either way you can't lose your texts as long as you have a backup. That's what backups are for. Either way the phone will get erased and then itunes will restore it for you.

7. poose22 macrumors member

sn0wbreeze can now jailbreak up to 4.0 for you....just so you know. and it's for PC too. after you've updated, itunes should give you the option to restore from a backup too. So if you backup your iphone before running sn0wbreeze, then you 'should' be fine. this is if you want to still have it jailbroken

8. aaron000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i've upgraded without wanting to jailbreak, obviously the blackra1n cydia apps were deleted off, but some of the other jailbroken apps stayed on but won't work so i've deleted them but the background I had has stayed on?

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Go to setting and wallpaper you and change them there.

10. aaron000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha nice one.
    So is my phone completely up and running unjailbroken now?

11. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

lol you tell me. You should be fully legit official iOS 4 now.

12. aaron000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just looked and its kept the carrier logo change i did too.

13. aaron000 thread starter macrumors newbie

So now I am puzzled lol, sorry!

I thought it would of been a complete fresh copy on the phone but with the carrier logo still being as it was before is it?

If I was to do a restore and start afresh is there any way of keeping SMS and putting them back on the phone once its up and running again? As surely if I just restore back to my last back up I will still have the changed logo?

14. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yeah I've hear of that happening. You still not jailbroken it just something that persist from the backup. It's cosmetic and not going to cause a problem if you can live with it.

15. aaron000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll stick with it them if thats the case. Just didn't want any loopholes in my phone thats all.

Do you know if there is a way of storing SMS and putting them back on your phone at a later time if you do need to do a restore to original settings?

16. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Only from restoring from a backup or being jailbroken as far as I know.