Upgrading jailbroken 3GS (Spirit)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CoreyGirl, Aug 4, 2011.

1. CoreyGirl macrumors newbie

Hello all, I have a lengthy issue so I hope you will stick around to read it and help! I'll try give you all the info I have! :)

I have a 3GS on version 3.1.3
    It is a Canadian device, jailbroken with Spirit and unlocked so I can use it here in Denmark.
    I have not upgraded the software as Spirit had not supplied an update for its jailbreak, and frankly, it didnt matter much to me. Until now.

I realize that in order to update the software on my phone, I will lose the jailbreak (hopefully not the unlock?) and have to find a new program to re-jailbreak. Im all for this.

My problem is that im a noob and upgraded my iTunes to version 10.2.1.1

I have all of my apps backed up, as well as my photos, music is not an issue.
    Contacts have been transferred to another device using bump. (magic!)
    All I am concerned with right now are my text messages.
    If I attempt to sync my phone, it takes upwards of 24 hours due to the gap between my phones software version and iTunes. I have not actually let it ever finish to see how long it does take, as i need my phone!

Also, I am using a pc.

So.
    1) Is there a way that I can somehow save my texts so that when I restore the phone I can see them again? syncing does not seem to be an option.
    2) When I do the restore, will I lose the unlock as well?
    3) Can anyone see a better/easier/different option for me to use here?

Im open to all suggestions! Ive done a lot of internet searches for various apps to aid me in the back up, but they all seem to involve me having to sync. blarg.

Thanks!!
    CG

2. mutchy126 macrumors regular

3. CoreyGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mutchy126! I could never get the downgrades to work!

Now to make sure I can update to OS to 4 without losing my network unlock!!

Cheers!!