Upgrading jailbroken iPhone 4.0.1 to 4.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by m021478, Oct 16, 2010.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I currently have my iPhone 4 (running 4.0.1) jailbroken, and I want to know what the procedure is to upgrade my iOS to 4.1 while keeping my iPhone jailbroken.

Do I have to restore the phone to plain vanilla 4.1 via iTunes, then jailbreak it using limera1n once I've done that, or I can somehow directly upgrade to 4.1 so that I don't have to resync everything and reinstall all of my Cydia apps?

Please advise. Thanks!

2. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

If you could please search next time; there are a lot of threads on this issue. If you need to preserve your baseband because you need to unlocked, you'll need to use TinyUmbrella to keep your old baseband. But if you don't need to preserve your baseband, you can just upgrade to 4.1, then use Limera1n or GreenPoison or wait for tomorrow because PwnageTool is supposedly coming out for the Mac if you don't want to use Limera1n for Mac.

3. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your response... I can assure you I did search (I even have that fact as my default signature because I always search prior to posting)... it's just that with a topic such as this, it's easy to have a simple answer to a simple question get lost in the noise.

I couldn't find what I was looking for within 10-15 minutes of searching for it, so I posted my question...

Thanks again!

4. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

While I have you, perhaps you can clarify a quick question I have on the details of this procedure...

If I perform a backup via iTunes of my phone as it exists now (jailbroken on 4.0.1), then I restore and upgrade my phone to 4.1 (thereby losing my jailbreak), then I use limera1n to jailbreak my phone on 4.1, can I then restore from the backup of my phone I made?

Will this reinstall all of my Cydia apps, or will I have to reinstall these manually afterward?

Thanks!

5. steinauf85 macrumors newbie

i would love to know the answer to this as well

6. flipples macrumors newbie

Ditto that question.

My assumption is that you have to 1) upgrade to 4.1 wiping out the jailbreak and then 2) jailbreak again.

If there's an easier way to do this so that we don't have to backup and restore the JB apps we've loaded, that would be great to know.

7. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

To restore your Cydia apps download aptbackup or pkgbackup. Run a backup with either app then backup the phone with iTunes. Once you upgrade to 4.1 restore your backup with iTunes and rejailbreak. Redownload aptbackup or pkgbackup whichever you used and restore. One problem you may run into is you'll reinstall everything from Cydia you had at once. If something isn't compatible with 4.1 the springboard may crash and you'll have to find and delete the app that's causing the crash.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty much.
    You cannot upgrade your OS and keep your iphone JB and all your JB stuff intact.
    You update your firmware, then you JB and you install all your cydia packages again either one by one or with a batch program like said above.

9. hlkc macrumors regular