Upgrading Jailbroken Iphone from 3.1.3 to 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by malin819, Oct 12, 2010.

1. malin819 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

This is my first post and I must say I'm a newbie when it comes to computer and stuff like this. I currently have an Iphone 3gs with the firmware 3.1.3 (the one before 4.0) and its jailbroken. I have a few questions:

1 - Is there a new version of jailbreak for the firmware 4.0?
    2 - How can I upgrage to the firmware 4.0 if my Iphone is jailbroken?
    3 - Will I lose anything like my contacts and txt msgs if I upgrade?
    4 - what is the latest firmware for my iphone?
    I think you know where I'm going with this. I'd really appreciate some help of possible.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

1 - Is there a new version of jailbreak for the firmware 4.0?

Jailbreakeme.com will jailbreake 4.0 or 4.0.1, now since you got a 3GS, you will need your SHSHs blobs saved (locally or on Cydia) if you want to install any of those 2. (the most current version of the firmware is 4.1)

If you don't know what SHSH blobs are you can get more info here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023947

2 - How can I upgrage to the firmware 4.0 if my Iphone is jailbroken?

To upgrade to 4.0 or 4.1 you need to download Tiny Umbrella, start the TSS server and use iTunes to upgrade to 4.0, Step by Step on the link I just posted it.

If you want to upgrade to the latest one 4.1, you do it using iTunes and them you use GreenPosi0n or Limera1n to Jailbreak. (You will upgrade your baseband and your ability to unlock at least for now.

3 - Will I lose anything like my contacts and txt msgs if I upgrade?

after the upgrade you will restore from backup using iTunes and all your App/Settings/Contatcs/SMS will be back (Make sure you backup your iphone before restoring)

4 - what is the latest firmware for my iphone?

3. malin819 thread starter macrumors newbie

!

I dont mind losing what I have on my Iphone since I only jailbreak for a few apps that I can get back.

I think the easiest way will be to upgrade to 4.1 via Itune and jailbreak with greenpoisin after

am I right?

wich is better...limerain or greenpoison?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You won't lose anything, just backup and restore, everything will be back.

Yes, update using iTunes and them use any of the tool

Which one is better? this is a very LONG and controversial question, if you want to know which one I used, I waited and used Greenpois0n.