Upgrading Jailbroken iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by WiiMarioHacker, Sep 2, 2010.

1. WiiMarioHacker macrumors member

Can I upgrade my Jailbroken iPhone via iTunes? I have heard that if you do, the iPhone stays unlocked, but you loose the Jailbreak.

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

No. You will loose your JB and unlock. Only way you never loose your unlock is if the unlock was done by Apple or the official carrier.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

No, never upgrade until the next version of iOS is jailbreakable, if you want to stay jailbroken.

4. WiiMarioHacker thread starter macrumors member

OK, so is upgrading safe to do? Need to know.

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Does phone has an official unlock from Apple or carrier you bought it from?

If yes, unlock is safe forever. Update all you want.

If no, you will loose both JB and unlock after updating. As soon as you update, the phone goes back to stock. If there are possible JB and/or unlock for that firmware, you will have to redo them. Currently, there are none for 4.0.2 so don't update to it.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is called not reading replies on your own thread !

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

You type English well, but I think your reading skills are lacking.

8. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Ahhh, so true.

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

And your ability to jump to conclusions is astounding but your ability to be an ass is made ineffective by your lack of understanding. Yes, it's completely safe to update but if rely on the jailbreak for your unlock you will lose it. It's completely safe to update because you can always downgrade if you have your SHSH hashed if not you lose that.

The OP astounding lack of necessary information makes for too many assumptions which leads to many possible correct answers. If you ask me if it safe to jump in a pool I'm going to assume you know how to swim, so it's not really my fault if your drown..

10. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Wow, your complete lack of understanding what was asked is amazing. I and several others willingly helped and provided an answer to what was asked. Way to jump to conclusions.