Upgrading JB iPad to 4.2?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by wirelessimports, Nov 22, 2010.

  1. wirelessimports macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2005
    #1
    I remember reading somewhere that upgrading a jailbroken iOS device isn't as straightforward as it should be.

    So what exactly do I need to do?
     
  2. 3goldens macrumors 68000

    3goldens

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #2
    Just wait for further instructions. It was just released so it's going to take some time and you'll see people talking about it allover the place obviously this may take a few days.

    If you update now, you will loose your jailbreak but gain the use of the new operating system. Then in a few days whenever the new jailbreak is released you probably will be able to jailbreak again.

    I'd be patient and do it correctly.
     
  3. wirelessimports thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2005
    #3
    Thank you. I understood that, but kept reading that redsn0w already jailbroke the GM version of 4.2 last week out of the box.
     
  4. oli356 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    #4
    Don't know if I should update or not! Want to try things out.. but it's not urgent.. so would rather just keep the current version..

    I don't want apples MT anyway so need to be able to disable that.. but somehow keep the 'double tap' working for the lock button..
     
  5. 3goldens macrumors 68000

    3goldens

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2008
    #5
    From the big boss

    Yes, Apple is releasing it today. No you should not update to it.

    For those that did not read that, DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.2. *

    Ok now that you’ve read it, wait for the jailbreak to be officially tested and released.

    Further, remember that*jailbreak*on 4.2 is likely tethered on newer devices, which means you have to rerun it every time you reboot your device. *This was covered here already.
     
  6. maturola macrumors 68040

    maturola

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #6
    All you have seen are hacks that "works" but are the Official JB process, you have to wait for the Tool to be update to officially support the firmware that was just released less than an hour ago :rolleyes:
     
  7. scirica macrumors 68020

    scirica

    Joined:
    May 13, 2008
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #7
    I'm split on the upgrade. I'm actually ready to go native iOS on my iPad, but I will certainly wait for a jailbreak to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 4.2.1. I have my iphone working perfectly on Limera1n + TU and there is absolutely no upside to moving from 4.1 to 4.2.1 for me (or for many others I'm suspecting)

    Download of 4.2.1 for iPad is currently under way. Looking forward to the install and going back to stock for a while.
     
  8. I WAS the one macrumors 6502a

    I WAS the one

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #8
    +1 (me 2)
     

Share This Page