Upgrading JB1.1.1 to the latest firmware

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by eudoxuz, Sep 17, 2008.

1. eudoxuz macrumors newbie

If I want to upgrade my firmware using the iTunes. Will I lose my musics? I don't have them backed up so it would be troublesome for me. What about all the apps I've installed? Will they be gone? So my iPod will generally be like what it's like when I bought it?
    Thanks in advance. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. eudoxuz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. eudoxuz thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ipodtouchftw macrumors member

if its already jailbroken, then dont update. make sure you restore because it can cause problems if you only update. so restore to the latest firmware and make sure you have the latest version of itunes. you wont lose your music, you just sync it back.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

ur music WILL go off ur ipod but stay in itunes to clarify

6. ipodtouchftw macrumors member

yeah thats what i meant, the music is removed from the ipod, but stays in itunes. you can always just sync your music back though.

7. eudoxuz thread starter macrumors newbie

the thing is i get my musics from my bro's and my friends. and my itunes doesnt have em. so if i restore, will ipod backup the music to my tunes, or will it be gone?

thanks for the replies

8. ipodtouchftw macrumors member

try this: connect ur ipod to ur computer, then when it opens up in itunes click the box that says Manually Manage Music or something like that. then where it shows ur ipod on the left side of itunes. click Music, click a random song, then on the toolbar click Edit>Select All. Drag all ur songs into a folder on ur desktop.
    now u can restore, then drag the songs back from the folder into ur itunes.

9. eudoxuz thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to do that, but when I drag it it wont drop of where I drag it. There is that black circle on top of it which prevent me to drag and drop it.

Thanks for the help man.

10. eudoxuz thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to do that, but when I drag it it wont drop of where I drag it. There is that black circle on top of it which prevent me to drag and drop it.

Thanks for the help man.

11. eudoxuz thread starter macrumors newbie

12. hansvon macrumors member

Dragging music from the iPod folder straight to itunes or anywhere else on the computer won't work. Use an iPod-to-computer program like Senuti (macs) or Sharepod (PC) to get your music somewhere on your computer at least (I think both of those have options that put the must directly in your itunes). My question for others is if there is some way I can back up my calendar appointments and notes if I wanna restore.