Upgrading LaCie 2big

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pszilard, Jan 15, 2014.

1. pszilard macrumors member

Just replaced the original 2TB drives in my TB Lacie 2big, with 4TB WD Enterprise drives.
    [​IMG]
    The LaCie utilities refused to load, however I could create a RAID 0 array from Apple's Disk Utility. Black Magic reports 320MB/sec transfer over the TB1 connection, which is passed through a Cinema display. I used the largest block size which is 256k.

Wonder why the LaCie Apps didn't work. Any ideas?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Isn't LaCie using Seagate drives in 2Big? Could the controller board in 2Big not accept WD drives?

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If there are config control buttons on the back, trying changing configs a few times. Get the box to reformat the drives itself.

4. g4cube macrumors 6502a

No controls on the back. Uses OS X Disk Utility to configure RAID or JBOD modes.

As for using different drives, your mileage may vary. While LaCie used Seagate in the ones I have, I also experimented with other drives. Not all drives permitted the 2big to sleep correctly.

I conclude then that not all SATA drives are perfect. Could be OSX. Could be drive firmware. Could be both.

While the connector is the same on those drives, not all drives work properly when the system sleeps. No issue during normal operation though.

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

On the 2big Thunderbolt, there are no controls. Use Disk Utility to configure RAID 0 or 1, or JBOD.

LaCie Utilities only work when first configured from factory to chose PC, Mac, or hybrid mode.

7. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Interesting. I've got two of the 2big Thunderbolt units and the only software they came with was backup software. Out of the box they were intended to be configured with Apple Disk Utility. On the support site, only the Monitor software and Windows drivers are listed. Just curious what utilities software are you trying to use?