Upgrading latest iMac 27" 5K retina from 8Gb to 16Gb

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chris Sutton, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Chris Sutton macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the right memory modules to buy to upgrade the latest (mid 2015) iMac Retina 5K from 8Gb to 16Gb total memory ?

From any company so long as reliable.

I presume it currently has 2 x 4Gb modules. So presumably I need to replace them with 2 x 8Gb modules ? ....but I am not sure which type or model.

Is there a memory module known to work flawlessly with it ??

....and the approx. cost ??

Thanks

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It takes 204-pin (laptop style) 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, and Crucial is generally the brand I recommend since it has worked fine for me and is known to be fairly reliable.

Actually, you can add to the 8 GB RAM already there since it has 4 slots and two of them are empty.

3. Glockworkorange macrumors regular

Glockworkorange

Now I want to say it came 4 x 4 and I switched to 8 x 8. I don't remember. I do have 16 that I ordered from OWC. no issues. Great machine. Buy it, especially because the low end model last year is now the default high end model.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It would actually be better to go with the low-end late 2014, or at least a Fusion drive in the mid 2015.
    Mine came with 2x4 GB.

5. Glockworkorange macrumors regular

Glockworkorange

That's accurate. Now that I consider, I had two sticks, 4 bricks each. I then ordered two sticks at 8 bricks. Sorry for the confusion.

6. Chris Sutton thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

I've heard that it's not good to mix Apple RAM with other RAM due to some kind of compatibility issue but don't know much more than that

7. Chris Sutton thread starter macrumors newbie

Chris Sutton

I've heard that it's not good to mix Apple RAM with other RAM due to some kind of compatibility issue but don't know much more than that

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's fine to add to the Apple RAM, as long as the new RAM has the same specs. This is what I did with mine, and I haven't had any issues with it.

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Fortunately you heard wrong. However ONLY install high quality RAM in your iMac. Most experienced users only use Crucial (buy direct) or OWC (www.macsales.com) due to their high quality. I can never understand why someone would spend $2K or more on a computer and then look for the cheapest possible RAM to install in it.

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

This is true of Crucial memory. I mixed with Crucial and it caused the sleep/wake to fail. I bought 16GB OWC and the problem is gone. I have seen that those that replaced all chips with Cruicial ones appear to not have issues.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

Wrong. And if you search the net you will find many people complaining about the Crucial chips they bought from Amazon messing up the iMac 5K.

12. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

Can you prove they did not. Really?

I suggest to visit crucial's own blog/forums. Many reports there say the same thing. OWC memory, no issue. Kingston, no issue. Crucial, issue.

14. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Again, I haven't had any issues with mine. There is of course the occasional defective RAM that can come from any manufacturer, but it's pretty rare.

15. Jim L macrumors regular

Now you guys have got me worried. I ordered these from Amazon and they're Crucial:

Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3/DDR3L 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 204-Pin SODIMM Memory for Mac CT2K4G3S160BM / CT2C4G3S160BM

So if they're no good, I'll have to send it back. Will it hurt our Mac if we put it in to check? Will it burn it out or anything?:eek:

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The worst that can happen is kernel panics when the defective RAM is installed, it's very unlikely to cause any permanent damage. I wouldn't worry about it, and defective RAM is rare so it'll probably work just fine.

17. ZipZap macrumors 601

Much as I don't want to say it. You don't matter. There are tons of posts complaining about Crucial chips and the 5K. I don't know what you installed so I cannot comment further about you.

Mixing Crucial and Apple seems to be an issue, though some using 4 Crucial chips also have issues. Amazon is selling what is supposed to be the right part. Here is a link, does it match what you have?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBJFW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Are you sure that if you let your machine sleep for 15 to 20 min, you can wake it up? Make sure your settings don't prevent sleep.

18. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

My experience with mixing Apple and Crucial RAM in my iMac 5K has been a positive one, and my experience matters as much as anyone else's.

Yes, that would be the one, although the price has come down quite a bit since I bought it when the Retina iMac first launched.

Yes, it wakes from sleep just fine.

19. ZipZap macrumors 601

Lucky you then.
    Your experience would matter if there weren't so many that had trouble including me.
    OP and everyone else I suggest you avoid the possible trouble and get the OWC chips.

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Sorry to hear your experience has been a negative one. I'm assuming you exchanged the defective RAM for new RAM and the result was the same?

21. ZipZap macrumors 601

22. garyrh66 macrumors newbie

garyrh66

Apple and Crucial were ok match in my 5k Retina. No problems. Put 16GB for a total of 24GB with the Apple memory. Good Luck.

23. Jim L macrumors regular

Just put in the Crucial memory from Amazon -- PROBLEMS! :(

After inserting the RAM I powered up my Mac and nothing but constant beeping! It won't even turn on, no screen display at all. I immediately pulled it out and set up a return to Amazon. Then I ordered the OWC memory from B and H Photo.

[Another Crucial Memory success story :rolleyes:]

24. jerwin macrumors 65816

I've got Crucial Ram installed in my iMac. No problems.

But the bank thing confuses me.
    Is this correct?
    Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 10.36.30 PM.png

25. thalazy macrumors regular