Upgrading Lion DP to Lion Retail

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by erickchevez, Jul 12, 2011.

1. erickchevez macrumors newbie

Hi! I installed Lion Developer preview on my main MacBook Pro and (besides the few little bugs) have been totally issue-free. But considering that Lion will come out on the App Store soon, i'm thinking about upgrading. Can I just purchase the retail version from the App Store and install or will I have to wipe my HDD, install Snow Leopard and upgrade to my purchased Lion Copy?

2. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

You will have to wipe and do a clean install. I'm guessing you're not in the Mac dev program. It states in the DP seed notes that you couldn't upgrade to the retail version of Lion.

3. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

Well, i think you will be able to just upgrade DP 4 to retail since it was possible to
    upgrade from DP 4 to GM. GM is supposed to be exactly the same as what you called
    retail version.

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Technically, while the GM installed right over the DP4, it was still not an upgrade. It didn't wipe the DP4 stuff, but the GM was still a new installation. But you are right. I'm sure the official release will be able to simply install over DP4 anyway, without eating too many of the settings. Either way, I'd back up before trying.