upgrading mac mini late 2009 to el captain

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by chhoda, Nov 6, 2016.

1. chhoda macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I have a late 2009 mac mini which is officially upgradeable to el captain. Currently it has mountain lion. I got an .app and installed mountain lion 2 years back. Now in app store i only see sierra, when i try upgrading sierra, it says "your system does not support".

Why app store is not showing el captain ?

what can i do to install el captain ? i have 8gb ram, hence am just waiting to get my hands dirty in el captain

please suggest

2. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

It is not show El Capitan, because Apple released a newer OS. Sadly that's how Apple does these things. If you have tried downloading El Capitan in the past, it should show up under Purchased in App Store. If not, you can try getting a friend or family member to download El Capitan on their Mac, and make a bootable USB for you to use on your Mac mini.

3. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

It should be up on a torrent site if you get really stuck

4. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I have El Capitan on my late 2009 Mini, if I can help let me know. Bootable USB copied to Google Drive for you (not sure that will work) ?if you have a friend who will share their AppleID login I think you can get it from their "purchased items" list in the App store.

Its good you upgraded the RAM as more recent OSX needs 4+, note some features like airplay and desktop extension to an ATV won't work due to hardware issues.

5. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Ok, I'm confused. Apple's own site says that if you have a machine that is not eligible for Sierra, you can still download El Capitan from the App Store:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Specifically, that support page states:

6. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

Apple seem to be changing how they do this.

Previously in the App Store then once downloaded and had a Mac running on the OS then showed in App Store.

Despite upgrading my cMP 5,1 to Sierra then doesn't show Sierra in Purchased.

7. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I downloaded (not upgraded) Sierra as I do with all new OS's just for my own archives, and it does show up under Purchased in my App store.

8. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

OP I can see download options for Mavericks, Yosemiti and El Capitan on my Purchased tab in App store (I have a late 2009) Mini. If I can help down downloading one of these and putting it on a filesharing site I will do but will need to be sure it won't kill my setup.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 9, 2016 ---
    That's only if you downloaded it previously - that's my understanding. See my post I can download all the way back to Lion as I upgraded each time

9. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I'm pretty sure that you can download El Capitan regardless, if you've got a 2009 Mini. Let me repeat, Apple's page says this:

Since the 2009 Mini doesn't support Sierra, the OP should indeed be able to download El Capitan.

10. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

OK Understood now, hopefully he'll tell us how it went.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you want El Capitan, you'll probably have to scrounge it up from somewhere other than an official Apple download site.

See post 3 above... ;)

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nope, you can get it directly from Apple. See post 5 above. ;)

13. chhoda thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks
    jpietrzak8

it worked. But apple should display it in app store to avoid confusion. Also xcode 8.1 is working fine

regds