Upgrading Mac Power PC 8600 and Software to the new i mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by simonrosselli, Sep 12, 2011.

1. simonrosselli macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I have a Power PC 8600/200 which is about 12 years old and works fine. However the laser printer gave up the ghost and the new one doesn't support my operating system (OS 7.5.5). Would happily upgrade to the new i mac but have such software such as Quark 3.0, Quickbooks 4.0, Adobe Photoshop 4.0 which won't work on the new i mac. Been told to piggy back all the documents created in Quark 3 to Quark 5 and then up again etc and that the new imac will only take the latest version of Quark (V 9.0).

First question is there any way to save all the hassle of converting all my files in Quark, Quickbooks and Photoshop into more recent versions rather than going up two versions at a time. Is it possible to make a quicker jump.

Second Question. Do any other versions of Quark run on the new i mac

Looking forward to your replies

Simon

2. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

Good News!

Quark 8 and 9 will both work on your new iMac, and both can open all Quark files from version 3.31 and up. Your Photoshop files will not need updating, but you will need a new version of PhotoShop - or an alternative - see the Design thread for a discussion of PS alternatives.

As for Quickbooks... I'm no expert, but you can probably export your data to some neutral format, like excel or tab-delimited, that the new QuickBooks supports - or perhaps it can open older versions as well, but I have my doubts given Quicken's shaky Mac support. Hopefully someone here can fill in that blank?

Good Luck, and Wow - your computer gave you twelve year's service!

dmz

3. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

8600?! Awesome. I had a 9600 for a while and it was still going strong when I left it with a roommate when I moved out of state. It ran PS and InDesign like a champ it was just to bulky and I gave into the lure of better, faster, new, $$$-er and bought a PB G4. The new iMac will have a lot of advantages but will take some getting used to, Mac OS X works very differently than OS 7.X (can I ask why you never upgraded to 8 or 9? I remember 7 being really buggy while I actually thought 9 gave 10.1 a run for its money)